a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spreader issue....

Started by mayrel, July 09, 2015, 10:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayrel

Yesterday we lowered the mast to install a new steaming light, wind vane and spreader covers.  All went well.  This afternoon I went down to the boat(it's in a slip)and noticed the port spreader shroud had slipped off the spreader and was slightly aft, but still held in place.  I know nothing about these spreaders, but I did notice when replacing the covers, there were wires holding the shrouds in place, at least that's what it looked like.  I searched this forum and didn't find much information on them. I'll do a google search to see what I can find.  If anyone knows what needs to be inspected and how to repair it, I will greatly appreciate any help....John

Salty19

You need to make sure the slot in the spreader caps are straight to hold the shroud in the correct orientation, then tie stainless wire in a figure 8 pattern to secure the wire in the slot.
Small holes are there to thread the wire through.

Loose enough to let it slide in the slot but tight enough to keep the shroud within the slot so it won't slip out.

The wire on it probably wasn't tight enough around the shroud and it slipped out (just a guess).

I use this .032" wire. In fact I use this wire all the time on several things around the boat and home. Good stuff..

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1%7C2259973%7C2260016%7C2260029&id=685684
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

mayrel

Thanks Salty, I rewired the spreader and it's good to go.  I used .041 wire from West Marine, seems to work fine.  Stainless.  We're back in business now!