a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

St. John's River and Silver Glen Spring this week

Started by hoddinr, June 21, 2015, 09:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

The West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron (WCTSS) is holding an old retired folks cruise this week - Mon - Wed

We're launching at Astor Ramp at Hwy 40 and the St. John's River, going north (down stream) to Lake George and then crossing over the SE corner of the lake to the entrance to Silver Glen Spring.

We've done this trip on weekends, and it's just too too busy, so we're doing it during the week when it is less used.  Last year we were the only boats in the spring.

The water temperature is 72, and the spring is surrounded by forest, so the cool water makes the air, and the inside of our boats cooler, and comfortable to sleep during the night.  You may even need a light blanket!  Even in June and July!

All ComPac SunCats are welcome to join us.  We will probably have two already going.

Ron Hoddinott
Founder - WCTSS ~

capt_nemo

Sounds tempting, but alas "Frisky's"  prospective NEW OWNER arrives for inspection and sea trial Friday.

Got a few things to do to get prepared.

Fair winds, and have FUN!

capt_nemo

hoddinr

Here are a few photos from the Silver Glen Spring trip this past weekend.

Only one SunCat though (mine).

http://ftp.ij.net/wctss/wctss/photos135.html

Ron

FireDrill

Ron, Enjoyed the pictures.. Certainly a great place to have such a trailer sailing trip and an interesting collection of boats! Congrats on WCTSS and a great cruise! Hope someone in the Up-State NY area thinks about forming such a Squadron!

Particularly fascinated with the bow pulpit and side-rails on your SunCat.  When I asked ComPac about doing this sort of upgrade before I bought my SunCat, they said they had done one, once, (they thought !) and discouraged me from ordering a bowpulpit..and stanchions with lifelines. (Many reasons though they said it could be done)  We never got to a side rails discussion (although they are standard on many West Wight Potters)... Did they make yours or where did you get these parts?  Are you happy with this arrangement? Any challenges getting in and out of boat?  Why rails and not Stanchions with lifelines and gates?  Any problems?

As a retired person, myself, I rarely go forward as a result of not having such a system.  All of my previous small boats 17, 19, 22 ft at least had a bow pulpit,  so it really seems strange to be without..

I also noted that Ontario SunCat mentioned a bow pulpit on his SunCat a few Weeks ago.  Curious about his experiences and supplier.  I have cruised there in my earlier boats and understand why it would be highly desirable in those waters.

Don Lehmbeck,
2012 SunCat named "CatEase"
Belief: "A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble".. E.B. White..
Retired Engineer and Adjunct Faculty ,
35 years sailing small cruisers in Upstate NY and nearby Canada

hoddinr

The railings on Nomad were the construct of the previous owner, Dennis Marshall.  He found the railing at a salvage yard, and bent it to fit the SunCat.  It was off a large power boat.

I absolutely LOVE the railing, and it's one of the reasons I paid as much as I did for the boat.  The inside additions - drawers and racks ala Don Nemitz (Capt Nemo) was the other reason.

I intend to do some cruising on Canals and Rivers (Erie Canal), and the railings are perfect for hanging the large fenders which also came with the boat.

I chartered a Nimble Nomad last summer on the Erie and had a blast.  Very civilized cruising, with free docks, and dining out every eking and most mornings!

So to remind me to go back, I re-named the boat "Nomad."  She has already done 80 miles on the St. John's River on one trip, and 20 on the last one. 

Thanks for the kind comments on our web site too!

Ron Hoddinott