a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SunCat GPS / Fishfinder Combo

Started by hoddinr, June 17, 2015, 11:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

It seems that most of the GPS units come with a fish finder now days.  I really don't care how many fish are beneath me, but I guess it's valuable to know the depth and contour of the bottom as you get into shallow water, to avoid going aground if for no other reason.

So I'm in the market for a new, highly readable from the cockpit, GPS.  I saw the Garmin Echo Map 44DV Combo today at the Clearwater West Marine.  It was $299 with transducer.  Same price at Amazon Prime ... and I can have it tomorrow! 

Does anyone have any experience with this model or would you suggest a different outfit.

As always, your opinions are valuable and appreciated!

Ron

Tom L.

Ron, I just installed a Hawkeye D100 Sounder. It is a sounder only and has a digital display. It is mounted in the cabin bulkhead and the transducer is glued to the hull. The readout is easily readable from any where in the cockpit.

It works very good. The controls a minimal. It has a shallow alarm, deep alarm and a offset adjustment and a feet or meter selection. That's it very simple but very Cheep. A little less than $100.00.

I find a sounder is very valuable especially when we are skirting the ICW channel. Because of our shallow draft we can, sometimes,  veer way out of the marked channel.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

hoddinr

Thanks Tom.  I'm really interested in the GPS mapping feature of this unit more than the Fishfinder, but I'm being convinced that having a combo unit makes perfect sense.

Thanks,
Ron

Mike K

Check out the Raymarine Dragonfly 5 pro (or 4 pro if limited budget). I've been thinking about getting one soon. The 4 pro is identical albeit with a smaller screen and less $$.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Mobile/Raymarine-Dragonfly-5PRO-with-Navionics-Plus-P4371.aspx

I have a handheld Garmin 78sc with the mediocre government nautical charts.  I don't know about the unit you mention.

The Raymarine dragonfly with the Navionics+ charting software gives the new "sonar charts" which I find indispensable in my Navionics I-Phone charting app (also highly recommended for $10 app for your brand new I-Phone!).

You can preview all their charts for your sailing area on Navionics.com on the "Webapp" tab. A button on the left side toggles between standard nautical charts and "sonar charts".   Good luck and let us know whatever you decide on and how you like it.
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

hoddinr

Thanks Mike!

I do have the Navionics App on my "new" iPhone.  But I really want something with a larger screen. Plus the iPhone battery runs down so fast when using it, it needs to be plugged in and charging.

I'll check out the RayMarine DragonFly.

Just the kind of input I like to get!

Ron