Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP-19 outboard question

Started by K3v1n, August 23, 2006, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3v1n

This is for you 19 owners out there.
I am looking at a 19 with a 20 year old motor.
On my 16 I just purchased a brand new 2 horse Honda.
Brand new vs 20 years...M'mmm

Question?

Can the Honda 2 move the 19 well enough to use?

I'd hate to sell it with the boat only to find the one that came with the 19 is not reliable.

With the talk about reverse in another thread, I had the thought that the 2 would work better because you turn the motor around to back up, the motor is still in forward giving you better thrust. That would be one plus I think...Any thoughts?

Thanks a Bunch!
-Kevin
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

tsaiapex

If all you need the motor for is to move in/out slip or dock to local lake, then it is fine.  I did it once and it did OK but we had three adults sat in the cockpit.  The transom height on CAP19 was a reach for 2 HP motor even with long shaft.

If you sail around area with current or strong wind/waves, you need 6 HP. 

Why not keep the 2 HP for the dinghy?  After you have CAP19 for couple years and discovered how it has expanded your sailing venue, then you will want a dinghy anyway.

Jeff Tessi
CAP19, Mary Grace
Apex, NC

mgoller

Hi Kevin,
No way is a Honda 2 going to get you out of trouble with the 19.  Don't worry about the 20 year old motor.  Mine is 30.  New points and plugs and she runs like a champ.  Consider how nice it will be for the buyer of the 16 to get a nice motor.
In a stiff wind or thunderstorm or fast current with chop too - you need to make hull speed against that force.  A 6hp is going to be minimal to do that but you don't want too big a motor or you have too much weight and bulk. 
Buying a 20 year old sailboat is like diving into a pool.  Don't try and tiptoe in, just dive in,  the water feels ffffffine.  Ok, check it out, compare, shop, ask for advice.  Then buy it.

K3v1n

Thanks,
I figured as much but hated giving up a brand new $900 motor. ;)

-Kevin
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

NormD

Quote from: K3v1n on August 23, 2006, 07:56:51 PM
This is for you 19 owners out there.
I am looking at a 19 with a 20 year old motor.
On my 16 I just purchased a brand new 2 horse Honda.
Brand new vs 20 years...M'mmm

Question?

Can the Honda 2 move the 19 well enough to use?

I'd hate to sell it with the boat only to find the one that came with the 19 is not reliable.

With the talk about reverse in another thread, I had the thought that the 2 would work better because you turn the motor around to back up, the motor is still in forward giving you better thrust. That would be one plus I think...Any thoughts?

Thanks a Bunch!
-Kevin

You could always try approaching a Honda Dealer and trading your 2HP on a 5HP.

Craig Weis

Let me wade in on this. Skip here. Last Sat morning I motored with bare pole from Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin to Marionette, Wisconsin, stopping at green island and napping from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Then came home on Sunday. A round trip of 59.7 nm.

It was a stormy day and my 5 hp Mercury O/B short shaft at times did not have enough poop to keep the bow relatively into the 8 foot sea with a head wind of 27knots and peak gusts of 48 knots. She would climb a wave only to be blown off the 'hill' and in between two waves.

This crashed towering waves over the cockpit, filling that with maybe 6" of water as the scuppers drained her out.

It took me 3 hours plus to make about 6 miles up the cut into the bay of Green Bay! At times I motored backwards.

Normally this motor will make about 4.4 to 5.3 knots, sog via my 435i chartplotter... About the same as with a good blow with all the sail out. Or on spinnaker. So the sails make 5hp? skip.

Craig Weis

I was looking at an O/B sales outlet on line and I found a long shaft 4 cycle air cooled 6 hp Briggs and Stratten for $695 brand new all day long. Plus shipping and [tax?]. Weighs about 56 lb. Same as my 5 hp Mercury give or take. skip