a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sun Cat Rub Rail

Started by Tom L., June 11, 2015, 12:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L.

Our Sun Cats have a black rubber rail that is an L shape. On My 2001 sun cat every single place there is a screw the rail has split. It stays in Position but looks really bad to me. It's more a cosmetic issue than functional. The factory used flat head screws and the rubber is countersunk for the screws. I think when the screws were tightened down they put expanding pressure on the rubber rail. I think this is a contributing factor as to why the rail split. I am going to change the rail.

Does anybody have an idea where I can get this material. I can order thru Com-Pac but it is $175.00. Too expensive... looking for an alternate supplier.

When I do the change I am going to use flat head screws with trim washers. The rubber will not be countersunk and I think the splitting problem resolved.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Mike Howell

My 2002 Sun Cat has the same problem. I need to replace the rubrail. I agree, it looks like the screws were tightened too much.

What are you going to do with the holes in the hull from the existing screws? Are you going to fill them or Will you try to line up the new holes with the existing ones?

Mike Howell

St Marys, GA

Tom L.

I am going to fill the existing holes with an epoxy mix. At least that's my plan unless someone thinks of a better plan. I will mark on deck where the existing holes are and try and stagger new holes in the rail and deck

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Tom L.

Forgot to finish the sentence. ( to miss the existing holes.)