a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Harken 265 Masthead Sheaves for CP19 and CP23

Started by Salty19, May 31, 2015, 01:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

As part of an ongoing process to make sailing life easier, before the start of this season I swapped out the original masthead sheaves for Harken 265 ball bearing sheaves.
Seems the last year or so the main has been tougher and tougher to raise, despite clean and lubed mastslots.

Note that they are WIDER than factory and require sanding down the inner race slightly on all bearings as well as removing the thin plate that separates the original sheaves. It appears as if the function of the thin plate was to keep friction down as one block revolves against another, but with the ball bearing style they only rotate against each other on the inner race (so the outer sheaves are still free to rotate independently).

I knew they were wider and hoped to make them work..no problem, just sand off a bit of material until they fit with a little play.  I had made a 1/16 carbon fiber plate but found the clearance was just too tight to use it, so I took the plate out.  I might try to keep sanding the plate down to 1/32" and the sheaves a bit more, just to keep the original design intent, but that won't be until the fall or next spring.

The original bearing is replaced as well-the Harken 265 has a 1/4" hole that accept the factory pin.  So nothing else is required. I'm reasonably sure the 19 and 23 have the same masthead sheaves, but you 23 owners might want to do some measuring first in case I'm mistaken.

The ball bearing sheaves make raising the sail SO MUCH EASIER than the solid race factory sheaves.  The sail zips right up the mast now with little effort.

Additionally, because the plate is absent, the halyard splice can pulled in slightly further.  This raises the sail an inch or so for higher boom clearance. I do think you would need to be cautious if you're not using a splice on your halyard.  A knot might get caught in the masthead without the plate?

I'm thinking those with booms that are very close to biminis or those with difficult to raise mains might want to look into this.  You need 4 sheaves; they cost about $10.50 each, some 220-320 sandpaper and new cotter pins for the sheave pins.

So you CLR racers better watch out...I'm thinking I might get the holeshot!  :) lol
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Thanks, Mike. That sounds like a challenge for the race. Of course, you'll be racing modified 19 class!

Salty19

A challenge, indeed, Bob!  Care to place a wager?  Remember I beat a 23 in 2013! Heehee!

Bob23

A wager? Hmm...this always gets my attention not because I need to win but because it's just fun. I'm gonna think about this one. I'll know in the next few days if I'll be bringing the might, undefeated Koinoina to CLR. Depends on my mechanic. If I don't you may be racing me in the Guideboat. Under sail.
  You may have beat a 23 but you  didn't beat my 23! Wait: Did you beat the Greenes? I don't stand a chance which will mean I'll have to resort to cheating. Good thing I have lots of experience! :)
B23

Salty19

Bob, yep I did beat Greene's mighty 23 in my minuscule little ol' 19.    So you know I've got the cheating thing down pat!!!   

You're going to have to come up with a newer, better way of cheating to beat me.  Shouldn't be too hard, I'm just a corn and beef-fed country bumpkin from Uh-Hi-Uh, right?

By the way my bookie has 4:1 odds on Crazycarl this year. He's got eyes in Chicago and is spying on our Illinois participants for me.
Something about a new wake steering method they found him researching but the details are sketchy at best.

Bob23

Seems like I have my work cut out for me. One problem in lunching my boat at a ramp is uncrating the secret keel I have installed on the boat. Oh, I guess I shouldn't have mentioned that. 
  I've heard about Carl's controversial wake steering method  and wondered if it is legal. Isn't he the one who also pioneered the using of a beach chain mounted on the bow rail to redirect the wind into the main, thus gaining upwind advantage? He's truly a force that's going to be reckon with.
bob23

Salty19

Well, there is only one rule in the CLR Cup race and that's no motoring once the horn has sounded.
Anything you do between then and the finish line is fair game. 

The lawn chair on the bow adds a little canvas for downwind too, so it's versatile for several points of sail. 
A pioneer indeed!