a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

small project, fills a need

Started by brackish, July 07, 2015, 06:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

I don't drink the water in my 11 gallon tank, too many cycles of "non-toxic" anti freeze. and I'm tired of gallon jugs stored in lockers or jugs with spigots sliding around the cabin and cockpit so I was looking for an unused place to put a drinking water tank on my 23.  Hard to find a space that is not already in use that will hold a decent size tank with spigot.  I think this will work.  Just enough room for the tank and that cutout space is not used for anything.  Built a little tray that attaches to the bulkhead and a Velcro strap keeps the tank from moving about although it fits so tight I don't think it is necessary.   I can just barely get in and out to fill it. 

capt_nemo

brackish,

You have devised a simple yet quite practical solution to a nagging problem. Well done! Again, another example of necessity being the mother of invention.

I also used 2 1/2 gallon jugs with built-in spigots but had to get them out and position them for use. Your dedicated tray and excellent use of an otherwise unused area for positioning and use is much better. And, using gravity to eliminate all the "plumbing" otherwise required in a permanent tank installation surely makes good sense.

capt_nemo

Tom L.

Brackish, that is a very good use of space and gravity. Well done. I like that.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

brackish

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen.

If anyone is contemplating this addition what I would do differently:  I used a full 3/4" thick piece around the bottom of the tray because I had them.  I would cut that down to 3/8" so that ( 1.) I can move the jug inboard a little, the back, top corner is actually jammed against the coach roof inside panel and (2.) so I could make the bottom tray with a little more clearance to the jug as I anticipate sewing up some sort of quilted bag for insulation with a hole for the spigot.  Because I don't have that clearance, I'll probably make the bag so that it will snap to the tray and not go around the bottom of the jug.

Additionally I put some holes with countersinks to screw it to the bulkhead trim.  I didn't use the holes as the clearance in the slots with felt liners makes it so tight, it is not necessary to screw it in.  That way if I or a future owners wanted to remove it that can happen with no damage remaining to the bulkhead trim pieces.  If I did it over I wouldn't put the holes in the tray and I have a plug cutter so I may plug them.