a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

deck removel

Started by may knot, April 06, 2007, 12:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

may knot

looking for information on the removal of deck on com-PAC 16. Bunks are completely rotted out plus the fiberglass pan over cement in the keel is also destroyed. I am to bigĀ  to crawl in and work in that small area. I know that it is a big job but am sick of sailing with water in the cabin and everthing getting wet. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Craig Weis

Well if you are really head strong about STILL removing the deck on a 16 then buy a Milwaukee SawzAll and a pile of blades.

1-Remove the rub rail and corner caps.
2 Saw through the 3-M 5200 glue plus pop rivets on 4 inch centers, holding the lip of the deck to the lip of the hull.
I'd saw from the outside in. Just walk around the hull on make shift scaffolding.
3-Be careful! Don't let the saw go where it wants to...you drive that saw where it needs to go.
4-Life is too short for dull blades and fiberglass eats blades up in a matter of seconds. Probably cut about 30 inch per blade. About five minutes a blade. About 10,000 strokes per blade at 2000 spm.
5-Where a mask.
6-Put her back together in reverse. Hey you will still need to get into those tight spaces to finish the hull deck joint on the inside. Splatter paint [like in automobile trunks] works well here. Good Luck. skip