a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tiller extension

Started by alsantini, April 21, 2015, 10:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Hello everyone.  I sail with a tiller extension with a lock box and really like it.  The lock box is on the port side (opposite from motor).  I have added the 19-32" Forespar tiller extension to the Eclipse.  I was wondering what the rest of you use?  There seems to be a great number of "holding" devices but many of them might not work on an Eclipse because it is transomless.  What, if anything do you all use?
Al

Vectordirector

Al,

I have the longer Forespar, 48" extended, and it works well. I used to sit back by the motor using the tiller, now I'm up near the cabin and can reach the sheets easier.   The new rudder system is much better at staying centered if I let go for a second so I don't use any sort of tie down other than the tillerpilot when solo sailing.  As I'm sure you are aware, the boat doesn't like to stay pointed into the wind when there is chop so I'll hook the tiller pilot on to hold course while I raise the main, then unhook it and lay it on the seat until I need it for going below or whatever.  It works well up to about 10 knots of wind and doesn't seem to drain the battery much if the water is fairly smooth.  If you solo a lot, I highly recommend one. 

Vec 
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Very cool.  Which tiller pilot do you have.  I am envious....  I have always look at them and said I need one of those but never bit the bullet.  You and I should really get along well since I am a gadget freak and I believe you are also.  Just got a Samsung Gear 2 Neo watch to play with. 
Al

Vectordirector

I can't remember which one until I go look at it.  I think it is a Simrad TP-10 or TP-100, something like that.  It is one of the cheaper ones.  It works well although it looks like no fun to install.  Getting the geometry correct, mounting the plate on the seat, drilling a hole for the wires, drilling the tiller, I'm sure you could handle it but it doesn't look like fun.  If you don't have a battery you will have to add one.  Still, I highly recommend one if you solo a lot.  I'm told they don't like to get wet.  I haven't tried it since I got the new rudder.  With the old rudder it couldn't really hold a course very well in the big 3 ft rollers on Lake Geneva.  It is also easily overpowered if you get a lot of weather helm.  Make sure the boat is balanced and in the groove before you use it in bigger winds.  I don't solo much now but when I do it is a great help in keeping the boat under control when I need to let go of the tiller. 

As far as gadgets, so many choices and such a short product cycle has me reaching overload trying to follow it all.  I'm still using my hand me down from my daughter iPhone 4S.  I recently replaced my ancient original Ipad, version 1.  It couldn't load web pages and my understanding is that it is a RAM issue, or rather a lack there of.  Replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5.  Loving it but need to spend more time with it and learn Android.  I'll probably replace my phone with some sort of Android smartphone soon.  I'm waiting to see if I can get my daughter off my plan on on her own after she graduates and becomes employed.  I've decided to go all open source and forgo Microsoft and Apple.  I currently run Kubuntu desktop on my main PC and haven't missed Windows at all.   The smartwatch thing is interesting but I just don't know.  Let me know how you like it.  Can you wear it sailing?
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

waterwheels

Alan, giving this some thought. Do you have any pictures of the lock box? Will it hold a course if you need to go forward (normal to untangle the jib sheet on the mast stub)

Thanks Don
Living Water

Tom L.

I use a Canadian cam lock on the tiller. It is like a tiller tamer but, to me easier to use. Instead of rope I use bungee cord tie to the boom gallows. I can engage or disengage in an instant and with the bungee I can give the tiller small corrective nudges and the tiller will come back to it's preset position. This is the device http://www.cansail.com/

Tiller locks are great but they aren't auto pilots. If you move around the boat, i.e. shift your weight, the boat will change course. Try it sometime. With the rudder locked perfectly straight you can move from side to side and steer the boat by shifting weight.

That is the problem with trying to move forward with a locked tiller. It helps but the work has to happen fast or you will be off course. I will go up one side of the boat to clear a problem and come back down the other to help steer with body weight.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

waterwheels

I also read that the forspar tiller extension requires quit a large hole to be drilled in our tiller to allow for the quick release. Is this true? Is the rudder width enough?

Don
Living Water

Vectordirector

I mounted it about 6 inches from the end no problem.  If you get one, and I love mine, remember that it doesn't come with screws.  I purchased at the local West Marine, and just went over to their screw selection to find ones that worked.  I can't remember what size they are.  The hole isn't that big.  Instructions say to use a 7/16th bit and I did.  I found it maybe a little tight and had to hammer in the recepticle before screwing it in.  I had the tiller locked in a vise while doing all this.  It's not coming out anytime soon.   Works great.  Yeah, it is $100, but worth it.  I can reach well into the cabin and barely to the mast with it extended, and I'm only 5'6".  That is with the 48" one.  If you set it right you can jam it in in front of the centerboard cleat and it will stay pretty well for a while.  Easy to grab if you are in the cabin.  Depends on the waves.  Haven't used my autopilot since I got the entension.  The boat seems to sail better with my weight forward too.  This could be because I can see the telltails on the jib when sitting up by the cabin and I sail the boat better.  She seems much more balanced  and doesn't drag her ass anymore.  As stable as the Eclipse is, she is still weight sensitive. 

Different strokes for different folks.  Whatever works for you.  There are plenty of tried and true solutions.  I'm finding simpler is better, less things to break. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

[/URL][/img]

This is a pic on my P-21 of the tiller lock and lock box.  For some reason I do not have one off of the Eclipse but they are the same.  I can make some adjustments forward and the tiller will remain stable.  Of course as you move around the weight change causes the boat direction to shift slightly.  It does hold enough that you can get some things done just not take a nap or make lunch. LOL

alsantini

oops.   Have to figure out what I did wrong again !   check back later - sorry