a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replacing Port Gaskets

Started by CurtTampa, May 09, 2015, 07:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtTampa

Just purchased a complete set of gaskets for my 27. The old gasket(s) came out easy enough with mini picks from harbor freight. Now that I have the port apart ambition has set in - the glass appears to be two seperate pieces of glass possibly with some glue in between. I wouldn't call it laminated as the glue seems to be hit and miss coverage wise. The question: has anyone seen this before? Is there an easy way to seperate them. Of course my fear is breaking them. The Gaskets were a pretty pile of pennies and I dare not ask what 16 pieces of custom glass would run. TIA

wes

They started out as laminated safety glass, like in your car. Take one  large and one small of the old ones to a local glass shop and order replacements. Should cost about $100 for a full set. I just did this a few months ago for my 27, and previously did the same for my 19.

Making laminated glass is not a home project. This could be a serious safety issue if a port shatters in a storm.

Rebed the new glass in black silicone caulk (one of the few applications for silicone on a sailboat). Then glue in the new gaskets with Pliobond (rubber cement).

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

cw021382

The gaskets should not have been expensive.  I ordered 12' of 3/8 x 3/8 hollow rubber gasket for my 23 from downwind marine.  I did all 6 and have plenty left.  Cost like 25 including shipping. 

deisher6

Hey Curt:
Just had the glass in our 27 replaced this summer.  A shop "Register's Glass" about two blocks from our house cut and installed the new saftey glass. $25 for the small ones and $35 for the large ports.  I bought the gaskets from Hutchins for $80.50.  You can see what the glass looked like in one of my ports at

Quick cabin/porthole repair
« on: February 01, 2015, 07:26:33 AM »

on this blog.

good luck
regards charlie

CurtTampa

I paid 80.00 for a set of 8 OEM from Compac. I couldnt find anything comparable. These are square solid rubber and fit perfect. Still cheaper than new cushions and stained wood. Plus I soaked up some "free" knowledge from Gerry - easily a $50.00 dollar value. ;)

Patrick

I just ordered the same thing.  While I have a couple of spares on board, I wanted to have them all refreshed.  Put up some pics if you get a chance; this thread has helped out a bit already!
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

relamb

Somewhere on this forum, there are pictures and instructions on how to take the two layers of glass apart and replace the clear plastic sheeting between them.
I think it was done on a CP23 by more than one person.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Craig

Replacing rather than attempting to repair makes good sense. If your repair fails you are into the whole job all over again. More blood,sweat and $$$. AAARGH!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Mike

I rebedded new perko gaskets with black silicone caulk..seemed to work out ok but have not been in weather with boat yet.

CurtTampa

Ordered the new glass from a glass shop today. The first glass shop quoted a price of 330.00. No thanks. Called a second and they quoted 114.00. When I got there today in person the owner apologized that the new kid made a mistake in not charging for the radiuses. He adjusted it up to 222.00. Feeling screwed but still way under the first quote I bit the bullet. Seems closer to Charlie's experince. Probably best to take the old glass with you to the shop for an of you contemplating new glass.

redfishnc

How long do you guys think it takes to remove and rebed the typical port not including the glass work? (if that's applicable).  I have no leakers but am going to preventive mode and I want to learn.  I bought a moisture meter and went all over boat.  I was quite happy to find no high readings.  I have no history of what was done in the rebedding department.   Thanks for the help...

deisher6

I would say 45 min to 1 hr 30 min.  Depending on what you do.  Much longer if you polish up the ports.  Have some extra acorn nuts and stove bolts to replace broken ones.  Extra crew also helps.

regards charlie