a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replacement Steaming Light for CP19

Started by mayrel, June 07, 2015, 02:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayrel

I need to replace my steaming light on the mast.  Before I drop the mast I'm acquiring new spreader caps and I have a new genoa 135 on the way; it will go on the CDI furler.  I've checked several sources and it looks like Perko makes a vertical mast light that will work.  I'm not sure how the stock light is mounted to the mast, again I haven't looked.  Thought I'd ask you experts what you recommend...early thanks, John

marc

Hi John,
There are 2 bolts that hold my light onto the mast. If I remember correctly, the 2 bolts that hold the light to the mast are the same 2 bolts that hold the lens cover in place. This is the only photo I have that shows my steaming light. Just put it in here so you can get a quick idea of whether we have the same fixture.

Why do you have to replace the entire light fixture? If the light is not operating the problem may be the fuse, bad bulb, corrosion on the bulb contacts or your deck plug. This spring my light wasn't working and I traced the problem to corroded wires at the deck plug.  Ended up replacing the plug for about $20. Are you sure that your light fixture needs to be replaced?

Marc

mayrel

Hello Mark,  I just ordered the same light(Peerko vertical steam light).  The original is round and had lost the rubber gasket, plus it was just a cheap light fixture.  After 20 years, I figured it was time to replace it.  I also replaced the original electrical panel which was also in bad condition due to age; old plastic gets brittle, the fuse holders were failing, etc.  Wiring was good; this boat has only seen salt water 20 days in it's life. Thanks for your response and the photo.  John

skip1930

On my CP-19 the 120 degree white steaming light was a simple chunk of shaped teak wood with two sheet metal screws securing the wood to the mast. Additionally these two screws pass through a round metal surround and rubber gasket that secures a plastic lens over the bulb. The bulb sits in a standard automotive single element the push and twist 'holder/socket' very poorly.

Anyway a trip to AutoZone found a white LED automotive bulb used for a taillight and brake light.   A two filament LED bulb was found on the rack. [They come in white-Red-Amber]. So I soldered a ground wire right to the brass base and a 'hot' wire to the low filament.

Stuffed it all back together, had to make a wee bit more room within the teak wood and it works O.K.

FYI, these LED bulbs make crappy tail lights as they don't sit in the reflector correctly and therefore the emitted light from the bulb is very direct and not reflected to the sides. The beam of light all points backward and none to the side of the tail light. Not very safe IMHO.

skip.