Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Some Sun Cat thoughts and questions

Started by stapes, May 28, 2018, 05:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stapes

Hi.
New to the forum. I've owned my boat with a friend for four years and love my proper little yacht.
On heaving to. I've experimented with a number of combinations. One that seems to work in moderate winds is trimming the main as tight as possible and pulling the centerboard all the way up. Boat will sail forward (more or less) by itself for at least the few minutes I've tried it.

I have the original jiffy reefing, but would like to go to a single line or double line system, both leading back to the boom midships. Anyone have thoughts or experience with either on a Sun Cat?

BTW, Narragansett Bay is a great place to sail for those who haven't tried it.

Thanks so much,
Tony

Zephyros

Hi Tony, I'm new to my Sun Cat as well, good tip on heaving to, thanks.

I've been searching about mods also, I came across this article that discusses reefing modifications:

https://www.tropicalboating.com/2010/04/modifying-my-sun-cats-rigging

rogerschwake

Welcome new Sun Cat owners. I believe you have found one of the best sights for your boats. Your cat rigs may take a little time to get use to but they are very forgiving. Ask all the questions you want, someone will come up with a answer for you. I have a single line reefing lead back to the cockpit and am very happy with it. Have run down hull for the boom, a down hull for the gaff to help lower sail and boom vang. My jack lines have one line lead to the cockpit so it acts as a topping lift also. There's lots of things you can change to suit your style of sailing. Good luck with your boats and keep in touch.

ROGER

stapes

Hi Zephyros, you'll love your boat. I will check out that link. Thanks.
Hi Roger, I put in lazyjacks using the bungee cord method described in the Catboat manual. They work great and were easy to install (no hardware). I have a gaff downhaul also, although its a makeshift operation.
Does your single line reefing terminate on the cabin top or at the cleat on the boom?
Looking forward to sharing thoughts with you all.

rogerschwake

If I understand you my reef line is terminated on the boom. I'll get some pictures and send them to you in a week or so.

ROGER