a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Single Hand set up CP19

Started by botelerr, January 10, 2010, 11:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayrel

Greetings, I'm a new CP19 owner as well.  I've just ordered a genoa 135 for our CDI roller from Peak sails and genoa sheets from Gerry.  Our boat has the genoa tracsk/cars and the horn cleats behind the fairlead topped cam cleats.  I'm not sure, but I think the sheets will run past the cam cleat to the horn cleat.  I agree jam cleats might be quicker and easier to use.  I've seen a youtube video where the sheet is run from one winch to the other, in 20mph+ winds so he can get the leverage in these conditions.  How does this work?

Lafayette Bruce

Watch out for Chris at Peak sails.  Several of us have ordered from him and orders get lost, sails come in to the wrong dimensions....

Running the sheets to both winches will not help your leverage it will only bring the line up closer to you as you will be on the windward rail and will not want to go leeward.  In this case the leeward winch is only a pivot point for the line.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

mayrel

Man, I don't like hearing this about Peak sails...I just ordered a new genoa 135 from them of my CDI...when you say they are coming with the wrong dimensions, are these orders which the purchaser has provided specific dimensions, or as Peak representatives explained to me, they have the correct dimensions for all the ComPac sails and have sold an inordinary number of them over the past couple of years.  I'm sure glad I haven't discarded my old jib!  But I'd like to know if this is a recurring problem, or one of out many that weren't right?????Please be more specific; did this happen to you?  What exactly was wrong and, most importantly, did Peak correct the problem without any hassle????Early thanks, Johh

Lafayette Bruce

I purchased a headsail for a Capri 14.2 and Peak claimed to know what all the dimensions were.  When the sail came in it was about a foot too long.  Chris avoided my calls and when I did finally get a hold of him he made all sorts of arguments about how it was right because that is what the work order said.  I pointed out to him that I sent him pictures of the dimensions (held a tape measure up to the old sail to show where the dimensions started and stopped).  He did go back and make the sail again but my boat was 2 months late in hitting the water.  The sail works but I still think the leach and foot are wrong because it is the smallest jib of all the Capri 14.2's in my club.
Others here on the forum have had problems with Peak as well.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

mayrel

It sounds like I may have been "taken" in too?  However, I spoke with Gerry Hutchins and he recommended going with Peak as he didn't have a source for fitting the CDI with a new head sail without charging me a considerable fee.  I am paying $492 for my 135 genoa from Peak.  I don't remember who I spoke with, but we talked for some time about my sail; I felt satisfied.  Obviously I'll know when the sail arrives, which should be next week?  They advertise delivery NLT five weeks; next week is the fifth week since my order.  I certainly hope I don' have an issue!  Dropping my mast is not easy for me with the boat in the water.  It's possible to change out the head sail using a CDI roller with the mast up, but I want to reinstall the wind vane I forgot when the mast was raised after I had the bottom and hull done.  I also need to replace the steaming light.  I'm waiting for everything to arrive to complete all this work at one time with the mast down.  Fortunately I have some help.  I know many CP19 owners have little trouble raising/lowering the mast in or out of the water; I'm 67 and have some back issues which prevents me from performing this task alone.  I have a gin pole which I could use in combination with the jib winch; again, with the boat in the water there is a distinct possibility of loosing control holding the mast in position coming down/going up.  I know some use short shrouds to assist keeping the mast from "wandering", but I'll wait for some help to be safe and avoid hurting my back.  I'll post whatever information concerning the Peak sail.  Thanks for your comments...John

mayrel

The PO of our 19 installed swivel fairlead cam cleats between the winches and horn cleats.  Possibly non-swiveling cam cleats would be good, but these swivels' aren't working for me very well.  I'm replacing the jib with a 135 genoa which means I'll be using the genoa blocks/cars and winches all the time.  I think the original setup up was intended to use the horn cleats; there is ample room between the winches and horn cleats to manage the sheets.  But with the cam cleats we have, they're right in line with the horn cleats.  I'm going to remove them and simply us the horn cleats.  If that doesn't work well, possibly replacing them with large fairlead jam cleats?
With this said, the swivel cam cleats worked fine in light airs, but when we sailed in much livelier conditions, I was concerned about them failing; this was with the stock jib.  I realize the convenience of cam cleats with fairleads, but I just don't think they're ideal for this boat as it's currently setup.  But my experience level with this boat is limited; we've only been out three times in varying conditions.  Our last sail was in 15-20mph winds and 3 foot seas.  The boat sails well, but I wasn't happy with the sheeting the PO setup...I can fix it.
If I'm missing something here, please correct me....John