a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Positive flotation ????

Started by Tom L., April 30, 2015, 01:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L.

I have a 2001 Sun Cat. There are blocks of foam about midships near the bridge deck. There is pour in foam under the forward part of the berth area. Is there enough foam for positive flotation? I can't find a thread that talks about this issue. Except one thread says that the S.Carolina company says it does not have Positive flotation but I can't find on their web site that comment. The Com Pac manual makes no mention. 

If positive flotation is not possible I want to cut an extra seat hatch in the center under the cushions near the bow, remove some of that foam for additional storage. In addition install the sounder transducer in that area. Any Thoughts??

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Craig

As I recollect that foam is structural in nature and is for strength and rigidity, not for flotation. I would check with the factory before removing it. May not be a problem but be cautious. Suncats definitely do NOT have positive flotation. Do you really need the extra storage? For its size the Suncat has a lot. I used net "hammocks" for additional storage above the berths, port and starboard. Also used plastic bins at the base of the berths. You can find some that will fit almost perfectly in the open spacespace between the cushion and bridgedeck.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Tom L.

Good point about the structural aspect. I will check with Com Pac about that issue. Can never have too many places to put stuff but my main reason for accessing that area is to mount the transducer forward and near the center line. May be I will just remove a small amount of foam for the trasducer, after I check with Com Pac.

Thanks

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

skip1930

Very old discussion. [No legal requirement to make a flooded hull float]

After all the cyphering there will never be enough cubic foot of open space below to make her float when flooded.
If that is a concern look~see at the French made ETAP sailboats. [Or sail a Boston Whaler]

Any blocks of foam seen are for stiffening and quieting the hull when beating into the wind.

The CP-19's have a sprayed in foam up forward under the vee birth and a block of carpeted foam under the sole of the cockpit.

I have often thought about removing this block and adding some beams to create a void for storage.
But I don't need the weight in the stern. That just makes for more drag and a slower passage.

Floatation? Never happen. If the boat is filled with water, down she goes. Might even rip the deck off the hull. And she'll never float level.

skip.

Tom L.

Thanks Skip, Your explanation make very good sense. Good news for me as I think the foam under the front portion of the cabin is for sound deadening. There is plenty of hull strength in that area. so I can safely remove a small portion under the vee berth and add storage. It's actually a good place to add some  weight to counter balance all the gear in the cockpit lockers.

Flotation was never an important factor in my view. But potential owners down the road may have issues if I were to compromise the design if it was to have positive flotation.

Tom L.

capt_nemo

Tom L,

Have you considered adding additional easily accessible storage capacity elsewhere?

My first Starboard Storage Module did not interfere with sleeping on the Starboard Berth and added a lot of Storage capacity. This Module, together with my Step/Two-Drawer Storage Module under the Bridge Deck dramatically improved both organization and capacity of my Cruising Storage.

capt_nemo

Duckie

Wow Capt!

Nice work.  I built something similar though much much smaller for my weekender.  It has turned out to be invaluable even on a day sail.  I have seen a lot of pictures of small cruising boats that when loaded for a trip, look like nothing more than a pile of garbage waiting for pickup.  That would drive me nuts.  My CP 16 came with factory bags on both port and starboard along the hull.  They are pretty cool.  I haven't yet been able to fill them up nor decided what to pack in them for a trip.  I think that if anyone is trying to add useful storage to their CP, buying a set of these would go a long way.

Al

Tom L.

Thanks Cap, I have seen you mods and they are very nice and food for thought. At this time I am trying to find those places that are wasted space/hidden. Like under the front part of the vee berth. I will most likely do something like you have except I need nearly the full length of the berth due height issues. I will most likely have a higher first shelf or cabinet leaving more head room under the assembly.

One place I found is under the step that the porta toilet sits on. We have to have a pot so no drawers under the bridge deck.  By removing the front board under the step, I could slide four wash tubs/bins under the step two on each side of the CB trunk. A good amount of hidden wasted space.

Craig

Got it about the transducer location. Many alternatives to hollowing out other foam. If you need more stowage maybe the Suncat is not big enough for your needs?? Just a thought.

Tom L.

Craig, you are right one can never have too big a boat except in my case. I am a retired live aboard cruiser. Sold the big boat in 2005. Now I am a dirt dweller. The big draw for the Sun Cat is it,s simplicity for trailering. So now I can visit a lot of places all over Florida and the South East in one day from My central Florida home.
The Sun Cat is a really nice boat for about three days. But it's hard to put stuff away so the main cabin isn't cluttered. I like order.

Tom L.

Craig

I hear you! I turn into a neatnik on the boat too! My wife is amazed since I normally am not that fussy. Good luck with your project!