a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Battery replacement

Started by gtepper, August 06, 2006, 10:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtepper

I recently purchased a 1996 Compac 27. I would like to replace the batteries. I know they are located under the step once you remove the companion-way stairs. However, I do not know how to remove that step to expose the batteries.

Any suggestions?

thedavo

George, I have gone through this process so maybe I can help. The one fly in the ointment is that the boat I have was built is 1987.  This is how mine is set up: The step sits atop two L-shaped wooden brackets that are affixed to the faceboard you see beneath the step. The faceboard is attached with four, large, probably #12 screws. Remove these four screws and the whole shootin match should come out. This saves having to lift the batteries over the face board should you just remove the step. You will be glad for it because those batteries are HEAVY!! Be careful, it is a very awkward position to lift from. Ideal for giving your back something to scream about. Good luck. Dave.

Roger Schwake

I repaced my batteries 3 years ago now. Used 2 deep cycle batteries from the local farm store, about the only place that handles them hear in Iowa. With our small diesel have had no problems starting and lots of power for lights and radios. Lets hear from some of the other owners and see what they think of this idea.

thedavo

I've been running my boat the same way since last January. No problems whatsoever starting the boat not having a designated "starting" battery. Two deep cells seem to be just fine.

thedavo

I guess I should mention that I always switch to "both" whenever starting the engine. Dave.

Roger Schwake

Thanks for the heads up on using two storage battiers. I start using both batteries also  when I remember to turn the switch, but have started on one a few times with no problems. Whats the deal about not turning the battery switch with the engine running? It's one of those rules I follow but don't under stand.

spaul

Hi Roger,
The rule on battery switching when engine is running is an old one. Consider when turning the battery selector switch it momentarily breaks contact leaving the alternator without a load. This will cause the alternator to spike voltage and possibly burn one or more rectifiers making your alternator stop putting out current.
Today's switches are shorting and shouldn't do this, but why buy trouble and just follow the rule.
Another rule that I think is more important is do not turn off your engine until after you've pulled the stop lever and the engine has stopped. Wait until you get the scream that the engine has quit, then turn off the ignition. Sam effect, you can burn an alternator diode or regulator that way.
Good luck,
Steve Paul
cp27/2
IM PAUL SIVE