a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

First time CP19 owners....

Started by mayrel, April 06, 2015, 08:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayrel

Greetings, after having purchased a reconditioned CP16, thinking it would take another couple of years to sell our cabin, it sold in 3 days!  We're moving to Shalimar Florida, so decided we can now have a larger boat for some cruising.  We found a very clean 1995 CP19 in Canyon Lake TX; we'll pick her up later this month.  We're retired and look forward to being able to cruise for longer periods of time; I like the open cabin layout of the CP19 and find no negative reports from anyone about her quality or sailing characteristics.  I realize she's not a fast boat, but we're not interested in racing.  We had a Montgomery 17 which was a great boat, but it was a compact cabin with all the storage under the berths.  I'm a visual kind of guy, so having things in bins and/or marked bags works better for me.  The boat comes with a 95' Yamaha 2-stroke 8hp motor, electric start with controls mounted in the cockpit, a nice feature.  I'm hoping 8hp will be sufficient, and as a 2 stroke it won't be too bad on fuel consumption?  She has an electrical system, but only an AM/FM radio, cabin and navigational lights.  I have a hand held VHF radio and cell phone, so we should be fine with communications.  She is fitted with a 150 genoa furling headsail(CDI II)which i hope will be good.  We will keep the boat in a slip, so she'll stay rigged unless we need to haul her out; hurricane coming for example.  I have already found this site wonderful; lots of great information and owners' willing to share their knowledge.  Hope to see you on the water....John and Joy

PS:  We have a very clean 83' CP16 for sale, details in the classified section of this site and will be on SailingTexas soon.

HeaveToo

You should have looked at a 23.  I may be a bit biased but they have a bit more room than the other trailerable Compac boats. 

Congratulations on the new boat.  Enjoy sailing.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Ferd Johns

John and Joy

I think you will thoroughly enjoy your CP19. She is a Bob Johnson (Island Packet) design, and has a flatter bottom than the CP16 or CP23 (Clark Mills designs). As you say, she's not particularly fast and won't point like a racer, but is incredible initially stable, stiff under sail, and predictable. A foiled rudder blade helps a lot, as do good sails. The quarter berths are very comfortable, the slide-out head arrangement works well for a tiny boat, there is good sitting headroom with a couple of float cushions behind your back, and I was able to convert part of the vee-berth into a small galley (similar to the Eclipse) for cruising with two. There is a lot of good stowage in the cockpit bins as you noted, and the cockpit, although shallow, is comfortable for laid-back cruising. She is not as commodious as a 23, as has been noted, but is quite a bit less to handle at the ramp, and has other sterling attributes that I appreciated.  I thought she was an exceptionally comfortable, well thought out little cruiser. I now have her lineal descendant, an Eclipse, which is also a great boat, but, interestingly enough, the quarterberths are slightly more cramped, and the clever convertible furniture can sometimes get in the way a bit. So enjoy what I consider a great boat!

Best,

Ferd.

peterg

J &J- enjoy that 19. Have had many boats, and the two 19s that we had were great for daysailing, weekending, and convenient to trailer sail. A convenient layout with good sailing characteristics.....and not really slow with good sails. There were many days when the GPS stayed over 5 knots for extended periods, and we tickled and briefly exceeded six on many occasions. There was a moderate amount of weather helm and reefing early was a good option to limit drama without sacrificing speed. If we weren't enjoying our 23 so much, I would have no qualms about another 19. Good luck and fun sailing with your new yacht!! PeterG 
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

mayrel

Thanks for the welcome and comments on the CP19.  Based on your comments and others' I researched, I think the CP19 will work very well for us.  We're both 67 and retired, so when I got get her in Texas and bring her back to Shalimar FL, she's getting a fresh bottom job and going into a slip at Ben's Lake Marina on Eglin AFB; one of the benefits of being retired military.  The boat will be 15 minutes away, and this is a good time to go sailing, although I prefer Sept thru Dec, cooler and more wind.  This particular boat doesn't have anything silly on it, navigation and cabin lights and a NOAA AM/FM radio.  I'll use my hand held VHF, cell phone and hand held GPS is all we'll need.  We don't particularly trust those chemical portapots, we prefer a 3 gallon bucket with toilet seat and dry chemical bags.  I'm not sure I want a galley in the cabin, but I may later; we have camp stoves we can setup in the cockpit for coffee and a new Magna charcoal grill for the stern pulpit, and coolers. I think we'll be fine.  It has a bimini top which I might add side curtains to have a full cockpit enclosure, again we'll see.  Sails are crisp and like new, although they're 5 years old, she hasn't been sailed much at all.  The 8hp Yamaha is a 2-stroke, but suppose to run fine; I may replace it sooner than later with a 4 stroke of similar size.  I'd rather have a bit more power just in case, although I doubt a 9.9 is merited, probably a 5 or 6hp will due.  There are however throttle/gear controls and electric start in the cockpit, a bit over kill for this boat, but a nice feature.  I will likely add the RudderCraft foiled rudder too, but for now we'll see how she handles with the stock rudder.  She's very clean, only seen salt water for 2 weeks, the rest fresh and stored inside.  I probably paid more than I should, but what the hey, I feel after all the boats we've had, this one is a long term keeper.  As one said, it's big enough for two to be comfortable, 4 can go day sailing, and she's small enough the slip fee is affordable.  She does have a roller headsail 150 genoa, which I'm not sure I like.  I've had some bad experiences with failed furlers, particularly the CDI.  I can always have it converted to a hanked on sail, and maybe get a 135 jib.  Down hauls work fine and the deck seems big enough to go forward easily.

skip1930

I'm thinking that a 8 hp 2 cycle is too much hp for a CP-19.

But if electric start is required that's probably the engine size where electric start and onboard controls begins. 
The 8 hp 2 cycle is heavy but not as heavy as any 4 cycle of the same size.

[I personally would not relish hanging out over salt water to pull start and adjust the engine's height. Don't things in the salt water eat people?]

Under engine power my CP-19 is pushed along with a light weight-short shaft 5 hp 2 cycle and terminal calculated hull speed at 5.2 to 6.1 knots as depicted by a chart plotter and ST-40 paddle wheel.

To pull the engine further off the transom and place the engine deeper into the water I cut up my old rudder blade and made 4 longer flat bars used in the original engine mount. That worked well. Simple remove and replace, [R&R].

Under sail power the same 5.2 to 6.1 can be achieved. But no faster.
Begs the question do the sails make 5 hp on a good day? Don't know.

The CP-19 is just big enough for sail/camping and a boom tent to control dew and rain sitting on anchor while cooking dinner with a portable one burner stove in the cockpit just can't be beat.

skip.

mayrel

I just ordered a RudderCraft foiled rudder blade.  However, I notice on my motor, the PO installed a piece of plexiglass to keep the prop from hitting the rudder?!  I will have to be careful with the new rudder blade.  I wonder, is this typical of these boats?  I would think the motor mount would be located to clear the rudder when under power.  Should I go to another section of this site for more information?

skip1930

No problem as long as the rudder blade does not kick up.

skip.

Tim Gardner

I love seeing the green type, Skip!

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.