a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Completed install of Throat Downhaul tackle

Started by hoddinr, April 21, 2015, 12:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

I bought a new cordless drill and carbon steel bit, and completed the install of a block on a spring on the mast base.  I put it between the lowest position of the boom and the bottom so as to not interfere with the two halyards at the base of the mast.  A 1/4 inch line runs from the throat halyard down to the block and aft to a cleat that's already on the boat.

I've read how Tom Ray liked his downhaul and think it will be useful to get the throat down when it's windy.

Anyone else use a downhaul on the throat?

Ron

Craig

I do! Had one on the Suncat and have one on Kailani. Wouldn't leave port without 'em! I am a big fan of downhauls in general.Makes singlehanding a lot easier. When I was a sloop sailor I had jib downhauls which work great if you don't have a furler.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

Installed one shortly after buying 2010 "Frisky" NEW in Dec '09 after trying lube on sail slugs, mast track, and gaff gooseneck all to no avail.

Really works to get the main down efficiently. Wouldn't have a Sun Cat without one!

capt_nemo

cdflan

Installed Tides Marine poly track on my Horizon Cat and it solved the problem.

Tom L.

Hey Ron, I installed a throat down haul on Gatito almost from the start. It is not very elaborate but it doesn't take much. I actually ran it from the throat under the bail on the side of the mast and back to the aft end of the grab rail. That was just to confirm how useful it is and it is. I will be doing a proper stand-up block at the base of the mast. I also want to install the bridge for mounting cleats and stoppers on the back of the cabin top. See Capt Nemos illustration. Helps eliminate all the holes (Potential leaks) in the cabin top.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

hoddinr

Good to know I'm on the right track Tom and Don. 

I saw somewhere here where someone said the downhaul made it more difficult to raise the sail or something.  Can't see how, but haven't tried it yet. With the block where I have it, it should stay out of the way.

Ron

Craig

No interference with raising sail. Just make sure the downhaul is clear to run free and not snag. Would like to hear more about the Tides Marine Polytrack on the Horizon Cat! Cost, fittings, installation?
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL