a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Backing plate for motor and anchor tie-down on 19/3

Started by MOlson, April 14, 2015, 08:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOlson

Had my first shakedown run the other...got mast up and down singlehandedly + launch and retrieve all alone.
Love it....named after my wife Lise Marie II (second boat with that name(.

So, my motor mount is showing some tiny spider cracks around the bolt holes. I was suprised there is no backing plate.
Pulled off the mount and am going to have something made. Should it be steel, stainless, or aluminum? I think there's electrolysis problem potentially.
Also, what size plate would be best?

Boat came with good sized Danforth anchor...what is the preferable way to secure it on to the bowprit and roller? Nothing in the manual, that I've seen.

Thanks all, I'll post some pics when we're ready for re-launch.

Mark O

skip1930

Mark O

When I added the ladder and stern pulpit to my boat I used 1/4 inch UHMW backing plates with 3-M 5200 Slow Set on both sides. Under the metal of the stainless steel and under the UHMW on the inside of the transom.

The motor mount was on the boat from the factory with no backing plates ground to shape with a 4 inch grinder and drilled to match holes.

The center of the drilled holes are 4 times the hole dia. away from the edge of the UHMW. So an inch in all the way around.

Just 1/4"-20 ss bolts, washers and nylock nuts sunk in 3M-5200 are used.

The small fisher cracks in the glass are from the fasteners being bolted down too tight hence stressing the fiberglass and bending the 'gel' coat.
These are simply too un-slightly but not structural.  

Don't over tighten the bolts ... glass doesn't bend.

Hint: Skinny up in side to the transom and use a small vice grip on the nylock nuts and have the wife turn in the bolts from the outside.

My Danforth sits hangs over the bow roller and I drilled through the shank of the anchor and used a pin and clip to keep it there until the clip is pulled and the pin removed and the anchor lowered via the 3 strand nylon anchor line. I think it's an 8 lb anchor.

Lots of pictures are posted by many people, look up skip's pictures in the index as well.

skip.

MOlson