a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tom, Southern Lake Michigan information requested

Started by cw021382, April 17, 2015, 12:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cw021382

This is open to anyone, but I see that Tom sails his 23 out of Hammond.  The wife and I are going to cruise lake Michigan for 5-6 weeks starting June 2nd.  We have been to the north:  Manitous, Traverse City, Sleeping Bear dunes and know what to expect, but never cruised the south.  Instead of trailering to Leland or TC, I was thinking about launching in the Chicago area and spending a few days there before harbor hopping up the east side of the lake.  We will probably stop at Mackinac and head back, maybe, via door county.  It would be nice to be back in Chicago for July 4 celebrations.  We want to motor downtown on the river at some point. 

Plans will change and be dictated by weather but does this sound doable or would it be to rushed?  What would be a good place to launch in the Chicago area, and where could we leave the truck and trailer safely?  What are the best places to visit up the east side of the lake?  Any information or advice is appreciated. 

-Chris

crazycarl

I used to our bristol caravel out of winthrop harbor.  Its a bit north, right at the wisconsin border.

The marina is north point, its owned by the state of illinois and the facilities are second to none.

I dont know of any place in downtown chicago where you could leave your vehicle for that long.

Also, no fee to launch your boat at north point marina, and i nevef had a problem leaving my vehicle for extended stays.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/north_po/INDEX.htm

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

thomeng55

Hi Chris...I have never been up north on Lake Michigan, but most of the south end really is harbor hopping.  Not a lot of coves, etc to put in at. but some really nice harbor towns.

I launch at Hammond.  They have a nice modern long double ramp and usually lots of assistance to get your boat in the water.  I think its $10 to launch and I know people have left vehicles there for extended time.  Michican City also has some nice launch ramps.

Most of the Chicago Slips are pretty rich (at least for my blood).  An overnight in burnham harbor was almost $70 for the smallest slip.  Just something to keep in mind.

If I can help anyway, let me know.  And when you get around, give a shout... would enjoy getting together.

I willl not be around June 6 to Jun 14 - I will be sailing off Maine Coast, but not in TomCat.

Tom

cw021382

Thanks for the information guys.  It is good to know about the slip prices in Chicago. 

-Chris