News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Permanently mounted mast raising gin-pole and tackle.

Started by Tom L., March 24, 2015, 09:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L.

Has anybody retrofitted the mast raising system using the permanently mounted block and tackle along with the gin pole? Just wondering when the mast is lowered do you leave the raising hardware hooked up for trailing? In other words the gin pole would be vertical. does that work for trailing?

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

hoddinr

The "Gin Pole" is only 18" or so, and yes you leave it in place.  In fact it's permanently mounted to the mast and takes the place of the forestay when the mast is up!
Saw this on a SunCat at MastHead Enterprises.  No forestay, and mast can be raised and secured from the cockpit.

Ron

sjaffess

Tom L.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2013-Com-Pac-Suncat-102361144
I don't have a picture but check out this web site. This Sun Cat has the system installed. A little hard to see but the gin pole acts very much ;like a spreader would the forestay is attached to the end of the gin pole and a block and tackle is attached to the underside of the gin pole than to the bow fitting. The four to one purchase leads back to the top of the cockpit to a rope clutch. I would add a standard cleat behind the clutch to make sure it isn't accidentally released. It holds the whole rig up.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Tom L.

BTW I talked to Matt at ComPac and they sell the whole assembly for about $350.00. The forestay would need to be shortened by the owner. I guess they could provide a new shorter forestay.
As I understand the whole system stays permanently attached to the mast, either, up in sailing position or down in trailering mode.

Tom L.

capt_nemo

Guys,

If you think that you might someday want to set a Light Air Nylon Drifter "flying" in the already tiny fore triangle, to improve the dismal light air performance of the Sun Cat, this "gin pole" contraption will certainly get in the way.

And, yes, the 38 sq. ft. Orange Nylon Drifter that I designed and fabricated (pictured below) made a DRAMATIC improvement in the boat's light air performance.

IN LIGHT AIR, NYLON IS KING!

capt_nemo

P.S. The white PVC pole seen in the bottom photo keeps the sheets from fouling on cleats, mast hinge protrusions, long pin, etc..

FireDrill

I agree with capt_nemo..!  There are light air days I would not be without my drifter and this permanent gin pole would make it impossible.  I would much rather sail on light air days and put a little more effort into raising the mast.

But if light air is rarely a concern then this is certainly a useful option. 
Don Lehmbeck,
2012 SunCat named "CatEase"
Belief: "A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble".. E.B. White..
Retired Engineer and Adjunct Faculty ,
35 years sailing small cruisers in Upstate NY and nearby Canada

Tom L.

Sorry guys but, to me flying a jib on a Cat Boat flies in the face of its intended simplicity. They were built as a stable and very simple to sail boat. Only one string to pull. I have sailed racing boats with all the strings and for me those days are over. My whole purpose for this boat is ultra simplicity in a skinny water pocket cruiser. I sometimes sail on the Chain of Lakes and it is helpful to lower the mast to traverse some canals while on the water. Also It is extremely fast and simple to rig. From Trailer to water in 15 minutes. I intend to sail all over the State of Florida. From the Keys to Pensacola. I can trail to those places in a few hours from my central Florida home.
Easy Peasy is my catch phrase as I near 70.

See ya on the water, East, West, North or South coasts of Florida.

Tom L.

hoddinr

I'm right there with you Tom.  The thing that takes the longest in getting her in the water is taking off the sail cover!  LOL!! 

And actually you can do that as you motor away from the dock!

Ron

Winkle

Hi Capt. Nemo and FireDrill,
Can you please give some info on how you handled installing mast fittings for the halyard of the small drifter? Can you not tack it to the end of the gin pole? Your pix, Capt Nemo, makes it appear that you do not have a gin pole in place — is that so?

BTW— I'm new here, and in the past have owned CP16 & CP19; just now, my wife is pushing me toward returning to sail in a SunCat. We have been in O/B cruisers (C-Dorys 16 & 22) for several years, and I sure do miss sailing. My last was a San Juan 24, about five years ago.
Thanks,
Rod (M/V Luna)

capt_nemo

Winkle,

First, I'd consider swapping my 2010 Sun Cat for a C-Dory 22. Have long admired the C-Dory line.

Now, for your questions.

I simply added a small halyard block (for ¼" line) under the already present forestay tang, making sure it was hung low enough not to get tangled with the forestay and also allowed the reinforced head of the Nylon Drifter to move freely from side to side. My forestay tang had multiple holes for forestay length adjustment using a small clevis pin with ring clip. TIP: to extend the "reach" of a block a given length strongly and inexpensively, use one or more links of small SS chain. Works for many applications.

If you "tack" it to the end of the gin pole you have a MAJOR disadvantage. You greatly limit the headsail luff length and consequently the overall design size of the headsail since the gin pole is attached some distance ABOVE the stem head normal tack attachment. The already TINY fore triangle area should be utilized to the maximum extent possible, in my opinion. And, since it was too TINY for my purposes, I designed and installed a 4' bowsprit to experiment and play with various masthead headsails.

No, I do not have a gin pole in place, nor would I ever consider having one. At 70, and in reasonably decent shape, I have no trouble whatsoever raising the mast. The hinged mast with attendant rigging advantages for sail, standing rigging, and running rigging, which all together provide great ease in launch and retrieval, is one of the main reasons I bought a Sun Cat.

Hope this helps.

capt_nemo

hoddinr

Winkle,

The "pole" you see in Nemo's photo is just there to keep the jib sheets from fouling on deck when he tacks.

Ron

Winkle

Thanks capt_nemo,
Good to know about the space (not) available in the foretriangle. Your added bowsprit shows up well in your latest pix (with tan jib.) My wife is interested in the use of only one control line (main sheet,) but I don't mind a jib sheet. I haven't told her that there are throat and peak halyards around. ;-)
Rod

FireDrill

Winkle, To answer question about drifter & hardware details, see my earlier postings Circa Dec 5, 2014 in SunCats and in Boat and Hardware modifications.  You can get to both by searching for ...drifter,SunCat ...on CPYOA.  Lots of pictures with written details about the specific hardware.

Because of how it is set up (all lines in place always, sail bag attached at launch - could also be left attached permanently if waterproofed bag)  I can go sailing and never have to touch the jib-sheet or fuss with the drifter set up (The simplicity we all love about the cat design!) unless, of course,  the wind dies down to the point where it's a couple of knots and the boat wants to drift aimlessly.  Then I just haul up on the drifter halyard set the tack line and  sheet in to the appropriate side and away I go at a knot or two on any point of sail.  If the wind builds later in the day, I pull it down, put it back in its bag and I'm back in business with a single mainsheet!  It makes the "dog days of summer"  and a few other days a year much more fun!   (Thanks to capt_nemo for help with the design of the sail and other stuff !)
Don Lehmbeck,
2012 SunCat named "CatEase"
Belief: "A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble".. E.B. White..
Retired Engineer and Adjunct Faculty ,
35 years sailing small cruisers in Upstate NY and nearby Canada