a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tiller pilot

Started by cdflan, March 26, 2015, 03:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdflan

Installed Raymarine tiller pilot for more pleasant cruising.  Travelled down Tampa Bay with no wind this weekend and didn't have to touch the tiller for 15 miles.  Total trip was some 25 miles cruising just over 5 knots and only used 50% of battery capacity which was right on the design numbers.
Used Perko table bracket set to mount the fixed end of the pilot so that there wouldn't be any projections into the cockpit when not in use.  Installed small wire post on the side of the tiller cutout that engages one of the case screw counterbores to hold it out of the way when in standby.
Great addition for long trips.

NateD

I love mine too (on a CP23, and now a CP16). I'm surprised by your comment about using 50% of your battery capacity, you must be talking about an electric propulsion system for the boat?

25 miles at 5 knots is roughly 5 hours of operation. I always read that small tiller pilots averaged 1-1.5 amps per hour, so that is only 5-7.5 amps used for the tiller pilot.

rbh1515

Yep, he has a Torqeedo.
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

cdflan

Picture didn't attach so hopefully it will here.
Sorry I wasn't more expansive - yes it is electric powered with 48 volts and 205 AH.  See the post "An Electrified Horizon Cat" of 11/5/13.
[/URL][img]

rbh1515

Pic didn't show.  If you are having problems posting pics here are some directions I posted previously:

Go to Photobucket and set up an account.
Click on Upload....you can upload from Computer, Facebook or URL.  My photos are on my computer.  Click "choose photos and videos"  Choose the file your photo is in, click the photo and it will download.  Once it is downloaded, the photo shows up on the lower part of the page.  Click on it.  Then you see the photo and to the right click in the box to the right next to IMG ("Copied" shows up in the box).  This will copy the link.  You can now go to CPYOA, start a reply, and paste the link (easiest way is to click "control v").  The photo should show up in your post and you are good to go.

The directions I posted were for a PC.  The only difference for an iMac is the last part when you paste the link.  Instead of "control v" click "command v" on the iMac.  It really is a pretty easy process using photobucket.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

cdflan

cdflan