a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hawk Eye Depth Sounder

Started by Tom L., March 08, 2015, 08:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L.

Any body have experience with the D10 sounder? It is a dedicated numerical sounder. No bottom graphs or GPS screens. A very simple unit at a very low price. The Mfg. has reconditioned units for $65. Reconditioned usually means a return from a customer that didn't know what he was ordering and didn't get the features he expected.

This unit is simple but it does have a shallow and deep water alarm and a keel offset. All I need. The bezels is 2" Dia. Was wondering if it readable from the Sun Cat cockpit. I think yes but looking for someone who may have installed one.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

crazycarl

i have one that looks very similar to the hawkeye. hummingbird?

there are several that look the same with the same features.

probably made by one company with the others placing their names on them.

mine has operated flawless for 5 years.

i chose the angled transducer and installed it with silicone in the bow of our 19.  no holes to drill, it shoots thru the hull.

however, if you're familiar with the british small boat sailor dylan winter, his hawkeye would go out on him regularly.

could be he got a bad one.

i'm quite satisfied with mine.

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Tom L.

Thanks CC,

According to Nor Cross the major reason for poor performance is normally because of transducer placement issues. Either in turbulence, not being full submerged or corred hulls. In a sailboat installation if the transducer is on the windward side and not submerged when heeled they stop working. It's not always possible to mount the transducer on the centerline but I think it would be best to get as close as possible..

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

kickingbug1

this year im gonna install a hummingbird piranha max 143 in my boat. 62 bucks and plenty good performance for a sailboat
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"