a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Clay Bar

Started by carry-on, March 10, 2015, 11:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carry-on

Never used a clay bar. Saw a Meguiars kit including lube and micro towel. One car blog found fault with the clay in Meguiars kit, found it too stiff and difficult to knead.
Any recommendations for a good clay bar to use on the CP hull?
Also saw a clay holder in one of the "how to" videos. Seems good to avoid dropping the clay. Anyone have a source?

Thanks.

$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Salty19

Used them for years on my cars, they do a really nice job at removing the engrained particles in paint found after washing and before polishing. Even on fairly new cars, it's amazing the difference in shine just by using the clay bar. Wash it really good first by hand...twice is best.

Zaino is the brand I like best, you can find them online. I have used the Maguires and agree they are stiff--but they will soften on warm surfaces. Just put it in some warm water for a bit before using.  The maguires work perfectly fine, but just get the big can with two bars, not the kit with the spray.  I buy the microfiber towels from Costco in bulk..nice towels and super low cost.

Indeed they are a bit tough to use-slippery and once dropped you should discard it. Otherwise you'll just grind the dirt in your driveway into the surface.  A holder would be cool as the first time you are not being careful the bar will get away from you.  Never heard of them though.

The lube Maguires provides isn't adequate, IMO.  It's just detailing spray and doesn't provide the full slippery coverage you want. Wash well with Dawn, rinse then wash each panel again with Dawn and clay bar it while flu of suds. Keep them wet and slippery.   When you feel the bar glide effortlessly across the surface, move on. When you feel it drag, keep working the area (very little pressure should be used) until the drag is gone.

Back in 2010-2011 when I wet sanded and polished out our 19, I did clay bar it and was glad I did as it removed things that chemicals did not, grit that I didn't want to sand into the gelcoat.
However I do wonder if those little particles would of just been sanded off without harm to the gelcoat anyway. Knowing what the clay bars do, I guess I knew it wouldn't hurt and might help, so tried it.

I wax my hull at least twice a year (usually two applications once a year but occasionally both in fall and spring) and haven't found the urge to clay bar it again. Stuff just doesn't stick to it too much (I use Collinite Fleet Wax, paste) and what does seems to come off when normal soap and with the help of my favorite boat detailing tool...the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.  If the hull is polished out, well waxed and cleaned every so often with soap that will not remove the wax, you won't need to do clay bar it too often.

As for advice, I would wash it really well then break out the Magic Eraser instead of the clay bar, for your boat. Then perhaps some 3M Imperial Compound followed by 3M Finnese It II.
Don't use the magic eraser on your car, but if you do decide to detail your car with a clay bar, you will be amazed at the results, I can promise you that!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603