a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

FORE-STAY FITTINGS

Started by MKBLK, January 31, 2015, 05:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKBLK

The fore-stay on my 16 utilizes a spring loaded snap-hook (from TPO) that unfortunately failed inflicting some minor damage to the mast. It only happened once, but I'd rather not ever have it recur. Fortunately, the boat was on the hard w/o sails when it happened. I'd appreciate photos of fail-safe means of securing the stay to the bow.

Marty K.
CP16 Pegasus
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

MacGyver

Clevis pin Stainless Steel, with a cotter pin, or a speed ring (cotter ring) also SS is in my opinion the ONLY way to go.

All that other crap is junk in my opinion. I know a guy that uses a padlock on his..... I have seen many ways, especially rusty stuff being used... It is crazy what all folks use to keep rigging upright, all for the ease of use......

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

I agree with Mac with one small addition: Check your cotter pins and/or rings frequently. And you can wrap the clevis pin with tape to insure the cotter ring stays in place. I've seen them back out, how I don't know but I've seen it. Personally, I do not wrap the pins- I'd rather see the pin so I can visually inspect it. A few summers ago I sailed for who knows how long without a cotter ring in the clevis pin that holds the forestay. I didn't see it until haulout time. Now I check everything before almost every sail.
Bob23

BruceW

I may have missed the point on your post, but if you are changing the end of the forestay, consider that Johnson clamp that is used on the Suncats. It makes it easier to do the cotter stuff by taking pressure off for insertion and removal. I agree with Bob; the rings can come out. I use them anyway, but I like to inspect them.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

JBC

I had a ring back out and the pin pop out on the forestay in heavy winds while my 16 III sat on its trailer in outdoor storage. Mast with its furler thrashed around and toppled part way toward the stern but was held up by shrouds.  Somehow, only damage was to tabernacle, which turned out to be easy fix (screws popped as designed).  I now tape my clevis rings.

Jett

MKBLK

Thanks for the good suggestions. The snap-hook will NOT be used in the future. My setup does use a clevis pin and speed ring/cotter ring (in addition to the snap-hook!!). I've never had a problem with it.

Regarding the speed ring backing out, it's amazing for something that is difficult to install can undo itself so easily! Couple of seasons ago, my son and I were sailing down the Delaware River and with him at the helm, I noticed that the end of the speed ring on the port shroud wasn't even visible! I told him to keep the boat on course so the pressure was on the starboard shroud while I dealt with the speed ring with my trusty Leatherman. Phew! That was a close call. Yep, I always check 'em before setting sail now.

BTW - One time, in a pinch, I did use the padlock from the trailer. Worked quite well.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

kickingbug1

anyone ever used a shackle with a "captive" threaded pin. i used one  on my cp16 for 6 years without a failure.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Salty19

Me too, Kicknbug. The boat was setup this way from the prior owner and I kept running it with no problems.  It was a Ronstan shackle with 1/4" pin, so decent stuff.  I wouldn't trust an el-cheapo hardware store version though...
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

got mine from defender 25 bucks i think. i also use one on the cat. best thing you cant loose the pin
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"