News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Researching cockpit enclosure for CP16 Results...

Started by mayrel, February 03, 2015, 01:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayrel

I just found a  British site called Habitent Enclosures for sailboat cockpit enclosures.  They are light weight, quality material, made in several sizes and can be mounted without installing additional hardware.  Cost plus shipping is in the $840 price range.  I realize this may seem expensive, but for those of us who are not able to make our own cockpit enclosures, yet want something functional, durable and reasonably priced, I find this product to be in the acceptable range for serious consideration.  You can view a video on their site on how to setup their enclosure.  The mounting system is very flexible and strong enough for normal overnight stays in reasonable weather.  Obviously this enclosure in not designed to remain setup while underway, nor will it necessarily stay put in a major storm.  However, having a cockpit enclosure on any small sail or power boat with adequate room for sleeping is certainly a major plus.  Having recently purchased a CP16 we understood sleeping aboard would be a challenge.  The obvious solution is a cockpit enclosure since the cockpit seats are long and wide enough for sleeping.  Additionally a cockpit enclosure provides additional privacy while anchored and/or docked.  The cost for the Habitent enclosure is likely less than having a canvas fabricator design and make one up, particularly designing a mounting method without adding additional hardware to your boat.  These folks at Habitent have been very responsive and helpful in answering our questions.  They are also working on a third enclosure for different sized cockpits.  They use ripstop versus canvas which is lighter and as durable.  We're very interested in their product as we fully intend to use our CP16 for camp cruising.  The cost for a cockpit enclosure provides the additional privacy we desire; being retired and on a fixed income we need to watch our budget, but being comfortable onboard our little boat is equally important.  Maybe others' will be interested in a Habitent?  Just wanted to share our findings and ask for comments/suggestions...John

GeeW

John
Thanks for the heads up on the manufacturer. I like the way a strap is used to attach the front of the enclosure to. Saves having to put eyes/hooks all over the place which cause extreme pain to knees at awkward moments.
As one of the (very?) few UK CP-16 owners we will be presently starting to make our own version of what we think we need. We have made cockpit tents for at least 4 of our previous boats. It really is not difficult, planning the order of construction is the main part.
Fully agree with your comments on the need for addition privacy and space on a small boat. Even at that price it is still a lot cheaper than buying a bigger boat to get the extra space!!!!
Gordon

mayrel

Thanks Gordon for your response.  I am thinking about purchasing a inexpensive poly tarp to use as a template for a cover and/or enclosure.  There is a good example of a simple cockpit cover(Burges design)this fellow made for his CP16.  It doubles as a bimini top in that it fits under the boom, attaches to the shrouds to secure it in the front and uses two bimini support poles in the stern.  We have boom gallows on our CP16, so we might be able to work out a way to avoid the upright poles in the stern area.  The only issue is water pooling in the middle.  This cover is basically a flat rectangular shape with aluminum poles in the forward and stern for lateral support.  One could attach a loop in the middle to tie off to the boom to avoid water accumulation.  However, I'm not a fan of bimini tops as I want to view the sails.  With this in mind, using the boom with the sail furled would provide excellent support of a simple poly tarp(or other material)cover.  Side panels could be incorporated into this single piece or attached with velcro or line.  I'm sure the cost would be much less, but the finished product and function not nearly as good as the Habitent.  If we were to use canvas, I know the cost for having a similar cover/enclosure would be much more than the some odd $800 for the Habitent.  We'll see....Fair Winds Mate...John

rbh1515

The set looks like it takes a while.  I saw this website  recently:  boattent.com
They are inflatable, with 6 min setup
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

hoddinr

An inflatable cockpit enclosure with no metal or other poles!  Neat!

I know of one inflatable tent, I think it's called a Nemo (sorry captain). A friend uses it and swears by it, not at it, even in a strong wind.

I know this concept will work, just wonder how much it all will cost.  The high tech fabrics and materials will run up the price for sure. But what cost is simplicity and ease of use and stowing?

Ron

BruceW

boat tent

interesting idea; terrible website.

looks like they are just starting up; that's a tough time for a biz. I'd be interested, but not at 650 Eur.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

HeaveToo

Why not fabricate this enclosure yourself.  You could probably buy a sewing machine and materials and spend less than buying the enclosure from a manufacturer.  I learned this truth when I started doing my own canvas work. 
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

ChuckO

Ahoy !

I have seen camping tents that have been adapted for the cockpit of a boat that worked out well.

Users started by finding a self standing dome tent that had the same floor footprint as their boat cockpit or one slightly smaller and have adapted from there. 

A big advantage of this type of solution is that they are generally mass produced and therefore reasonably priced as well as having mosquito netting, etc. already attached.

Check out the Coleman Sun Dome 7' x 5' 2 man tent for $50 at Camp-mor.com as a starting point.  Obviously retro fitting would be necessary .....

ChuckO'
CP 16/2 Carpe Diem
Charleston, SC

BruceW

I remember a friend used a screen house as the basis for a boom tent.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23