Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Porta Potti Questions:

Started by Bob23, February 07, 2015, 06:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Fellers:
   I'm thinking about upgrading the porta potti on my 23 and would like opinions on what's being used. I currently have a rather small unit from West Marine that did the job but I'm currently looking at this because I like the pump out option.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234284|2234292&id=1951432
   Does anyone use this specific unit...do you like it...why...why not?
   What I'm NOT looking for is to resurrect the thread "The Straight Poop" which contains the debate on the various ways to deal with the problem. That was an interesting read and some good points were made for each  preference, but I'm really just looking for porta potti info. If you have one that works well, or not, please post here. In researching the different units available, I notice that none of them come with a magazine rack: Guess I'll have to build that myself.
   Thanks in advance, mates!
For the cause,
Bob23

Shawn

Hi Bob,

I don't have that unit but I seem to recall comments about those being a little more flimsy than the SeaLand models.

The Thetford is also an inch taller than the Sealand 975 and that may be enough to not fit under the V berth. I put one of these in Serenty:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234284|2234292&id=902441

Worked fine and fit well. I never got around to plumbing it in for deck pump out. It was only used enough that I emptied it at the end of the season so it wasn't really an issue. If you decide to plumb it in that you need a deck fitting, pump out hose and vent hose. That will likely about double the cost due to the expense of sanitation hose.

Shawn

Salty19

Bob,

The Sealand Models 974, and association by the same design, the 975 are horrific quality and to be avoided!
They came with three little birds:  Cheap, cheap, and cheap!!!

Other Sealand models are pretty good. However, the magazine rack is not included as far as I can tell.  What kind of company sells Porti Potties without a magazine rack!

Unfortunately I can't recommend one with the pump out.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

Hmmm. 2 conflicting reports from 2 well respected Compac-o-nauts. Wonder what the deal is with the 974/975? I like to look at things before I buy so I guess I just have to drive to the Defender Warehouse. No telling what I could come home with.
Bob23
Thanks, mates...keep 'em coming.

Salty19

Hi Bob!

Maybe I'm reading things wrong, but I think Shawn is saying the Thetford you linked to had a reputation for being flimsy. And I said the Sealand 974/975 was junk.

Which is weird because both brands are regarded--well, the older designs anyway.

Without a doubt I can verify the 974 is junk....bought a brand new one for Island Time in 2010...first time I used it the sliding seal between the tanks literally fell off into the "black" side holding tank, rendering it inoperative.  The flushing power was poor too.

The link between these two seem to be a NEW design, which probably means Chinese made, designed by bean counters looking to save a buck at the expense of quality. Pretty much like many other durable good type products out there.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Shawn

"but I think Shawn is saying the Thetford you linked to had a reputation for being flimsy. And I said the Sealand 974/975 was junk."

I think the difference is that I put a 975 in Serenity and it was fine. Granted the lid was lightweight (covered by V berth so not an issue) but the rest of the unit was pretty well built and felt solid. Much nicer than the smaller older unit that was in there when I got the boat. No problems with seals at all and the pour spout to empty it worked well and never leaked a drop. I bought mine in June of '09. Based on that experience I'm sorta/kinda kicking myself for not considering that a little more when I dealt with the head in the Sabre. Having a real MSD and tank is nice (admiral far prefers it to the portapoti) but due to the salt water flush it does have a bit of an odor. Realistically the porta-poti would have likely been to tall/deep to fit on the platform in the head on the Sabre.

I haven't seen the Thetford, just going but I recall from the Compac Yahoo group (I think) back when I was originally researching these. It is a little over an inch higher so that should be checked with the V berth cover. The Sealand 975 fits (and the height is just about perfect) but I don't recall if there was another inch above it to the filler cushion.

Shawn

Bob23

Thanks for the clarification, mates. It does help. I keep mine in the storage area under the companionway and either will fit. I'm half thinking about waiting until Defenders Spring sale and driving up so I can see both in person. Probably2 or 2 1/2 hours each way but I like mini road trips.
Thanks again,
Bob23

HeaveToo

I am watching this thread and wondering what the end result is.

I want to eventually install a MSD porta Potty so I can use pump outs to empty the tank.  I will probably wire in a Macerator if I do this for when I can dump that way.

Who knows, maybe simplicity is the key.  I will keep using what I have for a season or two more and debate if this is working okay.  I have a porta potty but I have to remove it to empty it.  There are positives to this as there are positives to MSD.  The big thing is that I rarely go into a slip when I am out but frequently get gas and ice so having the MSD would be nice....I hate handing a full tank and I have visions of dropping the tank and it bursting.  Ewww!!
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt