Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard Choices

Started by Brent65, February 01, 2015, 08:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent65

Fellow Eclipse Owners,

Has anyone tried the Tohatsu/Nissan 6 hp Sailpro on an Eclipse?  It offers a 25" shaft and a 5 amp alternator, all in a 59 lb. package.  Sounds pretty good to me, but would like to hear from others with experience.

Thanks,
Brent

alsantini

I know nothing specific about the 6 Xlong shaft, but know that it is the same motor as my 4 hp.  Only difference is supposedly the carb and maybe the cam.  My 4 hp is plenty of power for the Eclipse even in moderate current conditions that I see here in FL.  The 6 XLong looks like a good fit although I am not sure if you need the extra 5 inches of shaft length.  An interesting question for other Eclipse owners would be - have you found yourself in conditions where the prop went out of the water as the boat went through waves?  As of yet I have not experienced it.  My 20 inch seems to stay in the water under all conditions.  But, I have only owned my Eclipse since April.  I have 39 sails so far.  Most were on a Lake, the rest in the Gulf or Mexico or Charlotte Harbor, FL.  Al

Vectordirector

Well, based on my experience with a 6HP Suzuki 4 stroke on mine,  I would say the long shaft is necessary if you are motoring in waves.  On Lake Geneva, the prop would come out of the water in the bigger chop from the boat wakes.  While sitting putting the main up or down was the worst.  6HP is plenty in the water I sail in.  Hull speed motoring in calm water is 1/2 throttle at the most.  More throttle makes more noise, burns more gas, and doesn't result in more speed, though I like having the reserve power if needed.   The Tohatsu seems like a well thought out package and one I would look at seriously if I needed a new motor.  They seem to get good reviews here and elsewhere.

Funny that you mention Merc, Skip.  30 years ago,  all I saw were Mercs, with the occasional Evinrude or Johnson or even Chrysler or Force.  Nowdays, in Punta Gorda, I see a ton of outboards, and by my unscientific observation, the vast majority I see here are Yamahas.  The big ones, anyway.  (kills me everytime I see a 18 ft. flats boat, couldn't weigh more than 1500 pounds, with a 300HP outboard on the back.  Seriously? That seems safe.)  And a smattering of Mercs.  Not sure if it means anything, just an observation.

Vectordirector

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold