Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tack/release pin for CP19-question

Started by mikeg, July 15, 2006, 08:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeg

Hi guys,

I happily took posession of Freebird, an '87 CP19 a few weeks ago. But on our first sail in her (July 4th), I noticed that she didn't have one of the most basic pieces of hardware needed-- a tack pin/release pin which goes through the hole in the cast aluminum boom-end fitting just above the gooseneck, through the tack grommet of the sail, and then out and through the other hole in the gooseneck fitting.

Before thinking of contacting Gerry Hutchins so that I could order the proper replacement pin, I hastily ordered what I THINK is the correct sized pin from Dwyer Aluminum. The pin arrived in the mail today and is basically a pin with a 45 degree bend in one end of it. The straight end has a small hole drilled through the end of it- and two very tiny cylinder shaped pins are included in the bag the pin was shipped in. Does anyone know how these two tiny pins are installed into the hole in the tack pin? I assume one should be fed in through one end of the hole and the other fed into the other side. And that they then meet in the middle and form nubs which protrude out of the tack pin and create a hold, so that the tack pin won't back out of the gooseneck? Do I have this right?  I want to be sure that I install the two tiny pins correctly, and thought someone on the group might have seen one of these things before.

Thanks for any advice,
Mike G.

mgoller

Yeah,
You got it right.  I'm not sure that one tiny pin doesn't go all the way through but mine stick out on both sides about a 1/8th.

mikeg

Thanks Marcus.

By the way, the bootstripe and covestripe painting project is about 90% done (as of 3pm Sunday). Just have to paint the boatname on! Looking good. I'll post pics when I can.

Mike G.

Craig Weis

My 'tack' pin is simply a pin with a 'handhold' at a 45 deg bend like yours. At the business end of the pin that goes through the sail is a 'detent ball'. Push the pin through the boom hole...it stays, pull on the pin and it 'detents' out. My buddies have the pin with the oblong/keyway pin that goes through the oblong slot and rotates into a 'parked' down and locked position. skip.