a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

want to sail in sarasota area

Started by PalmettoSailor, January 12, 2015, 01:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PalmettoSailor

want to bring my 16 II to sarasota, fl and sail in area. would appreciate suggestions for launch sites. and thanks.

mikew

I used to sail my Compac 16 on Tampa Bay- later a Hunter 25 on Sarasota Bay down to Venice.
I have only visited these ramps in the area and but they seem good.

Manatee River: In Palmetto, Riverside Drive next to Regatta Point Marina. Ramp is in Riverside Park- good ramp with parking and access to mile wide Manatee river, also access to Anna Maria Sound. Marina has two very good restaurants.
Sarasota Bay West- Sarasota Sailing Squadron, Ken Thompson Parkway. A sailing boat club but they do cater to visting sailers. Private ramp
with slips too. My dad kept his boat here- nice club. Sarasotasailingsquadron.org
Sarasota Bay East- ,near city of Sarasota, Centennial Park, Tamiami trail. City park with multiple deep ramps and parking.
Check this page for some more info: http://www.fun-florida-getaways.com/sarasota-ramps.cfm

Hope this helps.  
Mike

PalmettoSailor

mike, thanks. I shall check them out when there next week.

sharkwatcher

There are several good launch sites in Sarasota Bay. The 10th Str. ramp on US41 (Centennial Park), the Midnight Pass ramp on Siesta Key (midnight pass rd.) and the City Island ramp just east of Mote marine Lab are the best and most popular. The 10th Str and City Island ramps are the most convenient and largest, also the most crowded. The Midnight Pass ramp is a good deep ramp with a small parking lot. It isn't crowded on weekdays but fills up fast on the weekends. The 10th Str and City Island ramps have the best access to the passes and Sarasota bay while Midnight Pass ramp is on Little Sarasota Bay, which is shallow, has oyster reefs on both sides of the ICW and 2 bridges either way to passes (Stickney Point and Bay rd bridges north to Big Pass and Albee rd and Blackburn Point bridges south to the Venice jetties). Big Pass is the better of the passes offshore, but pay close attention to the channel markers and if you draw more than 5 ft, only try on a high tide! New Pass has very strong tidal currents, shifting shallow sand bars and a bridge to have opened. New Pass grill is a great place to stop for lunch, and Turtle Beach pub on Siesta Key (across from the Midnight Pass ramp) is a great after sailing burger and beer grill.

PalmettoSailor

Again, thank you both. Great help!
Marc

Dave

Just saw your post.  Sarasota Bay is my home water and usually a great place to sail.  The past few days had crazy winds - blowing stink, no wind on Sunday and back to stink Monday.  Should return to normal in the next few days.  There are some good restaurants on the water.  The Bearded Clam just east of IC16 is good for sailboats, but does need an motor to get through channel.  Nice bulkhead to tie up.

The bay does have a few spots with skinny water.  There's a sand bar in the NE corner and one near the mooring field at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron.  Plenty of water in the intracoastal.  There is also a circle of cylindrical marks with letters that are the race course marks for the Squadron - plenty of water near those.

Enjoy the bay!