a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Height of peak above water

Started by hoddinr, January 07, 2015, 08:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

Just wondering if anyone had data on the height of the peak of the gaff above water line. 
And while you're at it, the height of the mast with the gaff and sail lowered while motoring.

Lots of somewhat low bridges in SW Florida, and it would be nice to know the clearance so I may not have to signal for a bridge opening.

Appreciate your knowledge!

Ron

Tom L.

I checked with Compact at the St.Petersberg boat show and they had a hand marked copy of the Sun Cat brochure. The height of the mast off the water was 19'-2" to the top of the mast not including lights or wind vanes. I don't know about the top of the gaff but it's real easy to lower the peak halyard to be even with the top of the mast for bridge clearing.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

capt_nemo

I have the following recorded in my notes, for whatever it's worth.

The height of the mast off the water, approximately 20'.

The height of gaff peak with sail up, approximately 26'.

capt_nemo

hoddinr

Those are good numbers.  Thanks.  We have several small bridges that are 26 ft nominal clearance at mean low tide. 

Getting under them just got easier!

Ron

reedtg3

BTW, has anyone tried sailing (or motoring) a Suncat (with the gaff up or scandalized) under the US 1 bridge to the North of Bahia Honda State Park?  The published height of that bridge is 20'.
Cattail Tom   

Ferd Johns

Quote from: reedtg3 on January 21, 2015, 11:12:55 AM
BTW, has anyone tried sailing (or motoring) a Suncat (with the gaff up or scandalized) under the US 1 bridge to the North of Bahia Honda State Park?  The published height of that bridge is 20'.
Cattail Tom   

I have the exact same question, Tom. Thanks for asking it. I thought perhaps at low tide, with a "crew-weight-induced" heel?

Ferd

reedtg3

Does anyone know whether the posted vertical clearance under bridges is above mean high water or mean low water?

capt_nemo

If I remember correctly it is ABOVE MEAN HIGH WATER.

And, checking with Google, various bridge heights are reported ABOVE HIGH WATER.

capt_nemo

Dave

My understanding is the same - bridge height is relative to mean high water.  However tides are published relative to mean and I have been unsuccessful is finding any source for the difference between the two at a bridge.