News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

More on: one jib sheet for multiple jibs.

Started by deisher6, February 22, 2015, 11:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

OK I promise that this is the last word from me on this topic.  I found myself with three 110 hank on jibs all made by Johnson Sails.  None them had been used much, I surmise that they were all replaced with roller furling 110-155's soon after the boats were purchased.

I selected the best one for use and took the other two to a sail repairer to have the best one cut down to about a 90.  The sail maker replaced the grommet at the clew with a sewn in ring.  The ring is larger in diameter than the grommet and much 'slippier'.  I tried out the sail for the first time today in moderate wind.  The sheet slipped through.  Thinking that I had not secured it right I tried it again, and yet again.  The third time that the sheet unhooked itself, I looked for another solution.  I ran the rather longish loop (see the pic above) through the ring twice before I put the stopper through it.  Worked like a champ. (Thankfully)

It is a good, softer, safer and tested method of using a single sheet for multiple jibs, and having a longer loop in the sheet is useful!

regards charlie

capt_nemo

Thanks for the update Charlie.

Glad the "textile" shackle still works well.

capt_nemo