a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Battery Charger

Started by rogerschwake, January 17, 2015, 05:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

Have a Optima Model 34 Marine Dual Purpose battery for power on board my Sun Cat. Have a depth finder, handheld GPS and auto pilot that draw power from this battery. Have used this battery for two years and only charged it three times.  What is a good battery charger for this battery?

ROGER

MacGyver

Roger, I too only have to charge my battery a time or 2 through the year. I use a marine style charger made by Schumacher from Walmart. It has a digital readout to tell me the battery condition from 0 to 100 percent, and I just hit buttons to select LED lights to the proper things and then it handles the rest.
Super simple. But I am always around when it is happening. Not a permanent setup.
I just keep it at home during off months and on the boat during the season along with a extension cord.

Are you looking for a more permanent setup??

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

rogerschwake

Thanks Mac. Optima will sell us battery chargers starting at $100 on up, just a little steep for me. The neighbor has a charger with a deep cycle setting so I think I'll keep borrowing that, the price is just wright. Just wondering what the difference is charging a deep cycle battery?

crazycarl

wet cell deep cycle batteries should be recharged after each use.

typically they lose 3% of their charge every 30 days.

the average deep cycle battery only lasts a couple of years, unless you take proper care.

i have a deep cycle fully automatic charger (turns OFF when fully charged) mounted in our 19 and keep it plugged in all season.

during the off season i keep the batteries in the basement and hooked up to an automatic charger.

there is also a "pulse" charger that dissolves the build up on the plates and "renews" the batteries.

i've used it with some success on motorcycle and lawn tractor batteries.

a good charger is worth every dollar if it keeps your expensive batteries like new.

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

rogerschwake

HEY Carl, thanks for the info. Sounds like you take great care of your battery on board that boat of yours. Maybe you should think about a electric motor then you won't need a tow next year at the CLR, they start a lot easier than that gas motor of yours.

ROGER

crazycarl

roger,

ya, motor problems.  i can't remember a year that i hadn't had problems.

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"