Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sleeping in SunCat

Started by hoddinr, January 03, 2015, 03:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

Head aft or head forward?

Looks like more room for the shoulders with head towards the companionway.  Is that the way you sleep aboard?

Ron

ontarioSuncat

Yup, I am 6'3" and wife is 5'7" and we sleep feet forward. I find the curve of the hull just fits my back. I stuff my next day cloths at the head of the bead under the deck. Also up here on my side is the hanging light, batteries, Fans etc. I added two small eye straps to the head liner where I hang the Black diamond LED lantern, it runs on 4 D cell, but last all summer. I also have a candle lantern that can be hung for cool days. I added a solar vent to the roof just aft of the hatch for ventilation. Boom tent allow us to just use the BUG BUSTER screen over the open hatch at night. Get the biggest BUG BUSTER screen the sell as you need to cover the hatch cover and the opening. The guys can get under the hatch if you don't cover it all up!! We have lots of experience with bugs. Also have two zapper swatters to get the ones that have been hiding all day waiting for the lights to go out.
John

capt_nemo

No. I sleep with head forward toward the bow. Don't experience any problems with shoulder room.

capt_nemo

Tom L.

We sleep with our head aft. It is too narrow at the bow for two peoples shoulders to occupy that space, plenty of room for feet. We use small tap lights mounted on the cockpit bulkhead interior one on each side and use the 3m removable hangars. Not sure how long the hangars will last. The light is not good enough to read by but lights up the area to find anything in the night and won't blind the skipper when sailing. We have another reading lamp that was included with the boat mounted on the forward bulkhead that runs off the boat battery.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

hoddinr

Found a 300 lumen lantern at Wally World today for $14.95 plus 3 D cells.  It's sitting on one of the shelves that Dennis put in the boat.
I'm going to sleep on the port side with head aft.  Tried it out today and fell asleep!

Do you guys use sheets or anything to smooth out the cushion rash? It's too hot to sleep inside a sleeping bag most of the time here in FL.

Ron

hoddinr

John,

Where on the headliner did you add an eyestrap for the Black Diamond LED lantern?  Don't want to put it where I'll bump my head into it all the time, but where it will provide enough light to read or brew up some tea by.

Thanks!

Ron

ontarioSuncat

I might be calling them the wrong thing but they are the small eyelet made from folding over the SS. I heard some refer to them as stitching eyelets, hole is just about 1/4 inch in dia. They are mounted with one screw on the side. So no worries about banging. I then use one of those tiny double carbineer type clips (Nit-ize S-biner small one will hold 10 lbs.). This will hold the big lamp or the candle lantern. I put on just inside the hatch, centre of the cabin and one just aft of the hatch.

http://www.niteize.com/collection/S-Biner.asp

ontarioSuncat

Guess I should tell you how I use it. The aft position for the lantern is used when we are in the bunks reading. When go to sleep we move it to the forward position for the night (just aft of the hatch. During the day it sits way back beside the pottie. I got some of those sticky "place mats" that they sell to keep things from moving around on a car dash. They keep the misc stuff from sliding around but don't collect dirt. You will know them when you see them.  We also have a few of the Sylvania DOT-it LED lights mounted on the head liner to provide light, and use Head lamps when needed.

hoddinr

Thanks John.  I get it now.  The eyelet straps and carabiner allow the lantern to be hung in different places for different purposes.

Appreciated the explanation very much.

tmorgan

My wife and I sleep with our heads forward.