a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How to remove teak oil on fiberglass?

Started by Razor, December 06, 2014, 10:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razor

Many months ago, I applied Star Brite Premium Teak Oil to woodwork outside my Compac 19. Even though I taped off the woodwork, I applied the product too liberally, it ran and got onto the surrounding fiberglass. Any ideas on how to remove it. I have tried many household cleaners including bleach and toilet bowl cleaner. I have even tried pressure washing but to no avail. I keep the boat under a shelter so it does not have the elements working on it (sun, rain, uv).

Any ideas for removal would be appreciated.
"Cool Change" - 1994 Com-pac 23

Craig

Try some hydrocarbon based solvents(paint thinner,lamp oil,etc)acetone will probably take it off but be cautious, it can attack gel coat.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Salty19

I moved this post out of the DIY area.  That area is reserved for detailed 'show and tell" DIY projects, not Q&A.

Dawn dishwashing soap and a magic eraser should take care of the stain.    If not, try acetone.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

DougN

I had the same problem.Tried everything until I remembered I had some Interlux 202 fiberglass cleaner.Took it right off and it won't harm the gelcoat.It also melted the soles on my flip-flops so be careful.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        DougN