a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cool Electrical Labeling Idea

Started by HeaveToo, December 28, 2014, 10:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeaveToo

I saw a really cool idea the other day and it is applicable since I will be re-doing some wiring on my boat.

It was a method for labeling wiring.  Basically, the person took a label maker and wrote out what the purpose for the wire was.  They attached it to the wire and then used clear shrink tube and fixed it on the wire.

Here is a write-up of this:  http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/wire_labeling

I am thinking that this could really help in the future and it looks so organized.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Bob23

Great idea. And I already have the P-touch and TZ tapes. Looks like you just helped create another project for me this winter. I was wondering what I was gonna do with all that free time!
Bob23

HeaveToo

It stinks being 1.5 hours from the boat and a new puppy to take care of.  I am desperate for sailing projects.  Just to get my fix I am going to do a Yale Whipping on all of the new lines that I have coming in.  At least it will look cool and it is useful!

You know...I bet that same idea would work on the tail ends of sheets and halyards too.  Maybe that would be taking it too far!
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

MacGyver

This is a great idea, really helps identification especially when all the same color wire has been used!

Also, HeaveToo, make sure to take pictures! I love rope work, Might make me do more stuff to my boat, of course if you ask my wife, not much else needs done on our boat! Instead she wants the house projects done! The nerve of her!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

brackish

Wow, great idea.  One of my winter projects is to turn my batteries so that they are perpendicular to the CL of the boat and build a new stand/strap system to hold them in place.  I might as well do this while I'm at it.