a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

First Photos of Our New HC! (More Added 11-25-2014

Started by Lazar, November 12, 2014, 01:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazar

Well...it's sort of bare...but, it is a boat.

Beginning to look like a Horizon Cat...

Bob23

Awww. New borns are so cute, aren't they?

rbh1515

Exciting.  Mine will be built probably starting after the first of the year...also white.  Do you know...the boot stripe, how is it put on?  I thought it was in the gel coat.
Also, that must be a temporary trailer...I think the regular one is dual axle.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Lazar

Quote from: rbh1515 on November 12, 2014, 01:38:04 PM
Exciting.  Mine will be built probably starting after the first of the year...also white.  Do you know...the boot stripe, how is it put on?  I thought it was in the gel coat.
Also, that must be a temporary trailer...I think the regular one is dual axle.
Rob

Yeah, think that trailer is one used to move them around Hutchins' facility...and yepper, it's a single axle and pretty beat up.

The waterline strip is to be Pacific Blue.....so...mine ain't in the gel-coat.. I thought the same thing.

rbh1515

So, how do they put the boot stripe on?
Rob

Lazar

capt_nemo

As a New 2010 Sun Cat Owner who was surprised to learn that his optional Hunter Green colored Hull was PAINTED (when minor scratches revealed WHITE just below the surface) my guess is that your boot stripe will be either PAINTED on or be VINYL TAPE.

P.S. Still traumatized by those scratches as well as several others down on the keel from hitting knife edged galvanized steel projections on the trailer when recovering the boat at the ramp. Have since modified the trailer with underwater PVC guides for the keel.

capt_nemo

Lazar

After a bit of research I've discovered painted - or vinyl tape - waterline stripes are the norm. The dings from your trailer are another matter... I'm already 'designing' a solution to avoid that problem. Shouldn't be much of a problem to overcome..

rbh1515

On the options list there is an upgrade for the trailer:  PVC trailer guides.  This may be the solution?
Rob

brackish

The striping is all tape, current standard is navy and metallic gold at the waterline, two separate tapes and the gold below the rubrail with the compac symbol aft and an arrow forward.  I'm sure it is customized for boats that are custom colors.  The tape is fairly durable but will not stand fenders constantly rubbing on it when the boat is in a slip so hang your fenders below the upper stripe.

Depending on the paint, it could be more durable than Gelcoat.  If it is a catalyzed polyurethane it will be harder and more UV resistant than gelcoat a real benefit for boats that stay out in the weather all the time.  Much more resistant to chalking. 

As Capt_Nemo mentioned it will not be resistant to scratches that would also scratch the Gelcoat but because the color is all the way through the thicker layer, it doesn't show as much with gelcoat. 

My preference would be Catpoly paint over the gelcoat and protect it from scratches.  The tape is fine, will need to be replaced every 8-10 years.  I wax over mine when I wax the hull.

Lazar

Quote from: rbh1515 on November 16, 2014, 11:19:05 AM
On the options list there is an upgrade for the trailer:  PVC trailer guides.  This may be the solution?
Rob

I did buy that option...we'll see..

capt_nemo

Lazar,

The "Trailer Guides" Option WILL NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF DEEP SCRATCHES TO THE FORWARD KEEL AREA in my opinion. I believe they are the vertical PVC posts you see on many boat trailers.

My custom mod with 1" PVC Pipe will, as shown below.

capt_nemo

Lazar

That will get it done, my friend.. I can cease trying to 'design' a fix... I'll just hijack yours. Thanks!

Lazar

"I believe they are the vertical PVC posts you see on many boat trailers."

I agree, and my experience with those is they're little more than a handy visual aid when backing an empty trailer down a steep ramp. Maybe we're wrong, but I doubt it.