a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spinnaker for Eclipse

Started by alsantini, September 19, 2014, 10:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Hello everyone.  Who is using a spinnaker?  I am thinking of putting one together for my 2007 Eclipse.  The $970+ price from Com Pac seems a bit high and I wonder what the price includes?  On my Precision 21, I used an asymmetrical with a dousing sock that really worked slick.  I think I am missing it on the Eclipse.  Anyone have pics?  Thanks in advance

Vectordirector

Al,
my boat came with one new in the box.  It is still in the box.  I've never even opened it and looked at it.  If you want to come over and look at it, let me know.  I'll be in town until the 2nd.  I may be interested in selling it at a substantial discount over a new one.  I just don't see myself using it. 

Vectordirector in Lakewood

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

You have my undivided attention... and I am interested in it.  Name the time.  I will send info in a personal message.  See you soon.

Al

Vectordirector

PM received.  I"ll email you.

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

capt_nemo

Vectordirector,

Not so fast!

You will more than likely need that Spinnaker for light air sailing on Charlotte Harbor.

capt_nemo

Vectordirector

Capt,

OK, but can I fly it singlehanded? I have a tillerpilot, so I suppose that would help.

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

capt_nemo

Vectordirector,

Why not.

There are various techniques and rigging alternatives for the singlehander to consider.

Don't be so quick to dismiss flying a Spinnaker until you have at least considered some alternatives and perhaps even tried some of them.

Another topic for discussion over a glass of ice tea in Punta Gorda, FL.

capt_nemo

skip1930

Yes it can be single handed

$520 for a Com-Pac 19
Asymmetrical Star-cut in three colors with dousing sock. [Cost a few bucks more for a star-cut]

SailEast ... bought at the All Sail Show, Navy Pier, Chicago.
Came in about 4 weeks out of a Hong Cong loft.

Added a starboard side deck mounted pulley and 3 gang deck organizer, all lines lead to cockpit.
But still need to go forward to clip one of the two tacs to a rubber chock cord attached to the bow pulpit.
And go forward again when changing tacs.
The stern line [spinnaker sheet?] is attached to the stern cleat of the boat, and that flips when changing tac.

I usually don't use the spinnaker unless I'll hold that course for several hours. When in a brisk breeze it really drives the bow into the water.

skip.

Vectordirector

Ice tea sounds perfect.  My libation of choice.  Look forward to it. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Eagleye

Al and Vector,
Please keep us posted on the spinnaker for the Eclipse.  I have been considering that option this season and I would very much like to see pics and hear your comments on it's performance.
Thanks,
-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Vectordirector

Well, seasons done up here.  When I get to Punta Gorda, I'll stop by the dealer and see if they can show me how to rig it. I'll let you know if it is worth the effort. 

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Don't expect a lot of help from the dealer in Punta Gorda.  Set up of an asymmetrical is pretty easy.  I have done 3 and would be happy to help out while we are both in Florida.  See you in the sunshine.

Vectordirector

Thanks Al.  I noticed in the picture you emailed that your boat lacks the two spinlocks mine has on the rear of the combing, one per side.  I believe these are for the spinnaker.  You'll probably need to add them if you get one.  There is also a small block attached to the bowsprit that I assume is also used with it.  We'll have to try to fly it sometime, should be interesting. 

See ya soon. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold