a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Glue to use?

Started by nies, October 19, 2014, 09:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nies

The logo on my sails is lifting on the corners, what glue is safe to use on sails to re-attach?....................nies

capt_nemo

Don't have a recommendation on glue for the logo.

However, I do recommend that you consider carefully MACHINE SEWING the logo edges down onto the sail with or without gluing. It isn't too difficult, and if you don't want to do it yourself most likely there are folks around who will for a nominal fee. A mechanical connection (sewing) is the only way to ensure that the corners or edges don't lift.

capt_nemo

nies

Thanks, after some more research it seems 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive might be the glue to use and then sew, has anyone had any experience with this product on sails?......nies

Salty19

Not on sails, but plenty of other fabrics, foams, etc.  I would definitely give a try..it's super sticky stuff and should work well.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

crazycarl

be careful not to saturate the fabric as it will come through the weave.

for the best adhesion, spray it on both surfaces and let it become tacky.

then, apply the insignia to the sail and roll it from the center out.

any push out can be removed with mineral spirits.

if you don't have any "blue" tape to mask the sail, you can spray it in a small cup and use a brush to apply it to the sail.

cc

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

nies

Thanks for the hints and well give it a try.......................nies

brackish

If your sail is approaching that stage where it will need to be cleaned and crisped up, send it to Sailcare.  You can kill two birds with one stone in that they will not clean any sail with adhesively applied logos and numbers and will charge you to sew them on before cleaning.  Or if you plan to send it sometime in the future, sew it yourself and save the charge.

jb

nies,

Sent my main to Sailcare for cleaning this past year and they charged $22 to repair/sew the logo to the sail. Overall they did a nice job!

jb