a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Centerboard question

Started by rbh1515, October 19, 2014, 05:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

Will be ordering a Horizon Day Cat for next year.  It will be kept in the fresh water of Lake Michigan.  When it is in its slip the centerboard will be in the retracted position.  is it in the water at all when retracted?
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

capt_nemo

As far as I know the centerboard design on the HDC is similar to that on my Sun Cat, with the board definitely in contact with water while in the fully retracted position.

capt_nemo

CaptRon28

The Horizon center board folds up inside the fixed keel. Most, if not all, of the board will stay wet.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

rbh1515

If you keep your boat in the water do you have anti-fouling paint on the centerboard?

rbh1515

I found out that it comes with anti-fouling paint on the centerboard.
Rob

raghaulerII

Anyone have to replace the line to the centerboard yet? If so, any insights to share?

capt_nemo

raghaulerII,

To get as much life as possible out of your centerboard pennant, STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you slack off the line once the boat is on the trailer allowing the CB to rest on the trailer. This will avoid unnecessary chafe with the otherwise taut line rubbing against anything below, especially when bouncing down the highway. A taut CB pennant rubbing back and forth incessantly against even a dull surface will greatly shorten its useful life, resulting in failure, in all probability, at a most inopportune time.

WARNING: Remember to snug up the pennant BEFORE LAUNCHING to avoid spoiling your whole day.

This word to the wise applies to ALL CB pennants, both line and wire, and to ALL CBs, weighted or not.

I've had CBs on several small trailerable sailboats, have followed this procedure, and seldom had a problem. The CB pennant on my 35' high quality full foiled keel sailboat, which stayed in the water on and off for ten (10) years, FAILED ON ME TWICE! With several reported Com-Pac CB pennant problems I decided to check mine on the Sun Cat about 6 months ago after approx. 4 years of use. FOUND ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE OF ANY WEAR, but since the boat was already raised and CB exposed by my friendly Boat Trailer Dealer I changed it anyway.

Since your boat will be kept in the water, with CB retracted and pennant constantly under tension (weight of board), with boat bouncing around in wind and waves, STRONGLY RECOMMEND that the CB pennant be checked frequently for excessive chafe. Check with the Factory for any reason(s) why you SHOULD NOT leave your CB in the fully lowered position while at the dock, given deep enough water. Since the board is always in the water regardless of position, this will allow you to slack off the CB pennant. There is one other simple way to slack off the pennant, which requires more time and effort than most folks would be willing to spend each time they sailed the boat. Send me a Personal Message if interested.

capt_nemo

BruceW

I have replaced lines on Suncat, P-21, and Slipper 17.

I tie a small diameter line to a coat hanger, poke the coat hanger through the tube from cockpit. Dive under, pull coat hanger out. I will have taped the actual pennant to end of the starter line, with a stopper knot on the end. Then pull the line through, tie it to the centerboard.

It usually takes me a couple of dives to get it all done; not hard, but definitely for clear and warm water.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

rogerschwake

The pennant on my Sun Cat has a nick in it and I would like to replace it. How is the pennant fasten to the center board and what would be the best line to replace it with? Not a job to do here in Iowa wright now, the water is starting to get cold and will get hard too soon.

ROGER

capt_nemo

rogerschwake,

The CB Pennant on my 2010 Sun Cat is attached by simply tying it to a hole in the board with a bowline knot.

Checking pennant condition after 4 years of use, I used ΒΌ" Dacron braided line as replacement, even though original line showed ABSOLUTELY NO WEAR ANYWHERE. Always relaxed CB pennant when boat was on trailer as described in post above.

Find a Small Boat Trailer Dealer, Small Boat Dealer, or Marina with small lift that will, for a nominal fee, raise your boat TEMPORARILY up off the trailer just enough to let you do the job (30 minutes). Best $20 buck boat lift I ever experienced!

capt_nemo