a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom Vangs

Started by Dick, October 01, 2014, 12:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick

Have anyone installed a boom vang on your COM PAC 23/4? If so, what brand, model, and how well did it work?

brackish

I made my own from components, saves money doing it that way.

It works great does what it is supposed to do, control the sail when running down wind and eliminates boom bounce.

The components I used are outlined in this thread.  http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3737.0

Bob23

Dick:
   My 1985 23/2 came with one. Next time I'm at the boat, I'll check...think it may all be Harken components. I like it also for flattening the main in high winds. To further control sail shape, I'm thinking of going with mid boom sheeting to a traveller. If I get around to it!
Bob23

Jim23

I decided to go with a Garhauer rigid boom vang on my 23/3. I bought it on sale for $275 and was surprised at the build quality for the price. I regulary use it to suspend the boom above the cockpit as well as the vang function. I will say though that aside from the 'cool' factor you could easily get away with using your existing topping lift and a standard vang. The only real minor difference is the rigid vang will suspend the boom instantly whereas the topping lift has to be tightened (assuming it's been let out). I have to admit I mostly liked the look of the rigid vang and the cost was only marginally higher than a standard vang. I think Com-pac owners are allowed to admit vanity plays in to some decision making.

Bob23

Well of course we admit to some vanity. When you have a beautiful boat, it's hard not to.
I have a topping lift (unused jib halyard) so a regular vang works just fine. One reason I like a topping lift is it is an easy way to depower the main if needed. Kinda like scandalizing a gaff rig but the opposite. Does that make any sense?
Bob23