News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Just took Catnip out for the first time!

Started by Catnip, June 22, 2014, 07:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catnip

We haven't sailed in a while and I was a little unsure. 74 degrees and light SSE winds (5-8 mph) - perfect for getting oriented. Had a little mishap raising the sail when the gaff ended up on the wrong side of the port shroud but we sorted it out. Sailed for about an hour and a half, always within sight of our house. It was so much fun! Can't wait to get back out there!

frank

Great!!!!  Glad ya enjoyed it. Yep...takes a few times to get it right/easy raising sail. no worries...we've ALL done it  :-)
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Jon898

Good to hear it.

If you're not used to a gaff rig, one thing to remember is to keep the gaff horizontal as you hoist the sail then peak the gaff once the luff is taut.  On the PC, that will mean two pulls on the port-side halyard to one pull on the starboard side.

Catnip

Thanks for the tip. The seller had mentioned that but I lost that thread in the thrill of finally raising the sail!

bruce

Several Picnic Cat sailors I know have upgraded the throat halyard to a 2:1 purchase so you can haul on both halyards together and keep the gaff parallel to the boom. I find it much easier, and most catboats that I am familiar with are set up this way.

I had Com-Pac do the upgrade for me when I bought our PC, after I had test sailed a boat with the stock rigging.

YMMV, of course, many are happy with the 1:1 purchase.

Bruce
Aroo
PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

capt_nemo

On the Picnic Cat, if the pressures aloft are manageable when sailing, you could, alternatively, change the Gaff PEAK Halyard from 2:1 stock to 1:1. A bridle may have to be employed on the Gaff for optimum performance of a 1:1 halyard.

Then BOTH Halyards are 1:1 and there is far less line to handle and stow out of the way.

To tame and organize the halyards on Sun Cat "Frisky" (one of which is long and 2:1), I made a two - pocket storage bag shown below. Guess which halyard goes in the larger pocket.

capt_nemo

bruce

Good thought, Captain. I haven't heard of anyone doing that, but it would be worth trying. The load is not that great. Then again, neither are the halyard lengths. Keeping the throat halyard 1:1 would reduce the friction and help when dousing the sail, although those who have 1:1 on the throat halyard still report having to coax the luff down. Not much weight up there.

Bruce
Aroo
PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

capt_nemo

bruce,

With regard to "coax the luff down", many Sun Cat Owners, after trying various lubricants in the mast groove to no avail, have rigged a "gaff downhaul" to ensure that the gaff goose neck and throat halyard come down quickly when dousing sail. A light line, tied to the gaff gooseneck and led down to the base of mast and turned back (with block) to the cockpit, does the trick.

So, while releasing both halyards, we pull on the gaff downhaul to get the main'sl to gather nicely under control in the Lazy Jacks.

Just some food for thought.

capt_nemo

bruce

Thanks.

For me, in the open cockpit Picnic Cat, I 'm not inclined to rig a gaff downhaul. Since I'm at the mast, it's just as easy to grab a handful of luff than mess with another cleat and line. And then there's the extra line to deal with when the rigging is down. They do like to tangle.

I might rig a length of light bungee to the gaff gooseneck, that would stretch as I set the throat. Wouldn't want too much spring back, in case something was hung up and needed to be cleared, but it might help. Somewhat automatic and self-stowing.

The halyards not running cleanly through the cam cleats is also a nuisance when dousing the sail. The cleats will reset, or kinks will hang up on the fairlead, not to mention my propensity to kneel on the lines. I like your pockets. We coil our halyards and hang then on leashes, and usually lay out the lines to clear any twists before lowering the sail. Are those Spinlocks I see? I might upgrade, I know you can get the same mounting hole spacing, for those of us who don't like to drill new holes.

Bruce

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

capt_nemo

bruce,

Yes, they are Spinlocks, and I like them.

capt_nemo