a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The Overnighter!

Started by K3v1n, December 31, 2006, 03:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3v1n

Had this up on my sailBlog and thought I would post it up here since it is getting buried on that site. So here is our experience on our first night sleeping aboard a Com-Pac 16.

The Overnighter!

08/09/2006, Tice's Shoal, NJ
Wind NNE @ 10

Well the daughter and I finally made it to Tice's Shoal and spent the night. We launched from the Barnegat municipal dock and with a NNE wind at 10mph we made it to our destination in about two and one half hours. I used the genoa instead of the jib for the first time and she performed great, plus I liked the red and white stripe pattern.

We anchored up and quickly took a dip. A short swim from the boat revealed chest deep water so I relocated the boat there. I wanted to make sure that at low tide I would have plenty of water under the keel, didn't want to wake up in the middle of the night heeling over.

Before climbing back aboard for good and having dinner I set my "Bruce" type anchor, I didn't really trust the 8lb Danforth so I replaced that with the 16.5lb "Lewmar" with 16 feet of chain. Definitely overkill but I didn't have to worry about staying put all night that was for sure. We enjoyed a beautiful sunset and a Jello dessert as I set up a tarp over the boom.

With the cabin still hot from the sun we choose to sleep in the cockpit. With the "Boom Tent" in place it made a nice cozy retreat with plenty of breeze. With the wind direction we had we were pretty much bug free all night. With the cushions from the berths pulled out and set in the cockpit we slept nice and comfy. It did cool off as the night wore on and we ended up in sleeping bags soon enough. A great clear night with plenty of stars, awesome!

Our, or I should say my only mistake was sending up a small battery powered lantern up the main halyard, anchor light. After my daughter asked how we will get it down I stared at it for a second...oh #&@%, how are we going to get it down?! Shook the line a few times to find it was jammed into the sheave. Next problem, as the boat rocked every now and then from swells the darn lantern swung around and banged the mast.

Most of the night we had to listen to that thing hit the mast, like every five minutes or so. As the bay calmed it became less of a problem but meant that come the morning I will be dropping the mast to get it down. The best part is that after about two hours the thing went dead so it no longer was a light, just a nuisance.

Awoke in the morning with my first task at hand, dropping the mast. After some Frosted Flakes I sent Robin over board to swim as I started the process. This is my first time having to lower the mast while at sea. I managed to not drop the wrench over board and soon enough I had everything back to normal. This is a mistake I'm sure not to make any time soon.

With the boat squared away we headed ashore with bodyboard in tow for a swim on Island Beach State Park. We came here last year in my fourteen foot Carolina Skiff and just loved the beach so we had to try it again. It was great, clean and the water was warmer than I had heard it was. After about an hour and a half we headed back for lunch. By now all the day trippers were coming in and the anchorage was filling up fast.

We were most definitely the smallest boat there, sail or power, not counting dinghies that is. I think we stood out because of that fact. On our way home we had a great breeze and had a blast sailing amongst a lot of larger craft. The boat went in fine and came out fine as well. The new rollers and winch post worked great. So now we plan for our next outing, can't wait to get back out there!

What fun!

-Kevin and firstmate Robin aboard Floridaze.

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Craig Weis

What a nice story. That's what this boating business is all about.
Do you sit with a radar reflector atop the yard arm? Fiberglass is not visible to radar.
But in salt water? I don't know. There are things in the water that will eat you!! LOL
Sure wish I was hauled up along side in that anchorage.
Overnights are great. skip.

Cricket Crew

Hey K3v1n ... and Robin ~ Loved your post and pics! What a great time! Looks like you had perfect conditions for your overnighter.
What wonderful memories you are creating for you and your daughter!
Have a great New Year ... looking forward to your future posts!
AJ