a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Faux wooden transom CP-19

Started by copcardrvr, August 05, 2014, 03:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copcardrvr

I wanted to post a pic of the faux wooden transom I painted on my CP-19 but I'm not sure how to attach a photo in this format. The following is a link to a dropbox folder that has photos of the restoration I'm working on. I painted the cabin, cockpit, deck, doghouse and cove stripe with 100% acrylic latex housepaint from Menards. The transom paint is a kit for fiberglass and steel doors and that paint and stain is oil based.

Not sure if this will work or not, but here goes nothing.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/zveqaqzclo3rlkl/AABezEhXirQKTdYzAyKqKTjVa

deisher6

Hey copcardrvr:
What a bunch of work you have done so far.  Great pictures.  Neat looking transom.  Thanks for the post and flicks, it keeps me motivated to do the small stuff each day to keep from doing BIG stuff like you are doing.  Keep at it and sail it as soon as possible.
Thanks again.
regards charlie

MacGyver

Really interesting, Keep it up

When I was doing my total restore, I was sanding the deck and a friend was keeping a eye on the progress. At one point I stopped working on the deck and resulted in just walking to the shop several times after work every evening and just staring with no want to continue. After several months of working on it everyday (and the fact I do it for a living) I guess I had my fill....... So my friend after 2 weeks of asking and hearing about no new results, came from work one day to my house and said "Lets get this done, we arent stopping till the deck is ready for paint!!" and off we went.

I hope that doesnt happen to you. I returned the favor back to him on his bathroom remodel job that he fell into the same stopping problem.

Once it is all done, it will be a big accomplishment, and will clean up so fast......... amazing. I am so glad we did ours now....... a lot more fun.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

copcardrvr

I hear ya MacGuyver. After priming the entire boat from the hull/deck joint up I kept putting off the paint job. I guess I was afraid I'd screw it up. A friend of mine showed up at 7:30 AM and said "Let's get this s.o.b. painted" so we did and the results were great. Thanks for the love Charlie, I appreciate it. I'm finding out that there's a certain amount of truth to the saying that the last 5% of the job takes 95% of the time.

frank

What a beautiful transom!   boat looks great!! 
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

azabeemerboy

jb

your hard work payed off !  Looks GREAT !!

Could you be more specific about the " 100% acrylic latex housepaint from Menards " ?  Exactly what paint did you use and why this choice??

thanks,

j

Gil Weiss

Your effort looks great. I am curious about the paint choice? Good luck! Gil

copcardrvr

Hi JB,

Here's a link to the article that got me thinking about latex paint in the first place.

http://www.simplicityboats.com/latexcarnel.html

I ended up putting 3 coats of Bullseye 123 Plus primer by Zinsser and 3 coats of Grand Distinction 100% acrylic semi-gloss latex exterior house paint by Pittsburgh Paints.

When I went to buy the paint, I asked for the best 100% acrylic latex exterior they had and that is what they gave me. It's about 30 bucks a gallon compared to a hundred bucks a quart for 2-part automotive enamel. It turned out that I wasn't talking with an 8-buck-an-hour Menard's employee, but a Pittsburgh Paint rep that just happened to be there. She knew her stuff. When she asked what I was painting and I told her, her jaw about hit the floor.

She told me that if I did that and the DNR found out I could be subject to HUGE fines. She said that if the paint flaked off and a fish ate it (even though it's non toxic) it might get indigestion and I'd be in big trouble. She then added that they'd have no way of knowing it was latex unless I told them. (BTW there are dozens of articles on the web about guys who paint their hulls, inside and out, with latex paint and have been doing it for years with great success).

I then told her that my hull was in good shape and all the paint would be above the waterline. She visibly relaxed and said Oh, OK, no problem.
I told her what primer I used and she said that Grand Distinction has primer in it so I wouldn't have to have used a separate primer.

There are 4 reasons I decided to try latex paint. First, the cleanup is a breeze compared to oil based paints. Second, I used to own a Hunter that had a LOT of nonskid and I used latex garage floor paint on it and found that it had very good wear resistance and it didn't flake or fade. Third, I figured that a 19 foot boat isn't that big and if it didn't work, I'd just strip it and use something else. And fourth, it's cheap (comparatively speaking).

I applied the primer with a foam roller and it leveled out very nicely. I didn't sand between coats (except for a couple runs). I sprayed the Grand Distinction with a Wagner Paint Crew airless sprayer. I added a quart of Floetrol (which helps level the paint and slows the drying time) to a gallon of paint and sprayed 3 coats. It still came out pretty thick so I had to keep the sprayer moving. The results were almost breathtaking. I only had two small runs and one sag on the entire boat.

Even with the Floetrol added, the paint was dry to the touch in about 30 minutes so we applied all 3 coats in less than 2 hours. (I think it took more time to clean the sprayer than it did to paint the boat.) Latex dries fast but it takes 21-30 days to fully cure.

jb

copcardrvr,

The article that you referred to was interesting !  I have a project boat that I have been working on for my daughter and it needs some paint.  I have been agonizing about  the best approach and you may have helped find a fairly simple  and economical solution.

thanks for taking the time to respond.

j