a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

I WANT A CP23!!

Started by Lee, October 27, 2004, 07:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny b

Hi!  I'm new to the board and just ran across this thread.  I have a 1980 CP23 and it's great!  Good luck in your search, Lee.

My CP23 is older than trapp's, and it has two thru-hulls below the waterline, for the intake and outflow from the head. They must have redisigned this on later models.

Here in Florida, the tradeoff of giving up upwind performance for shoal draft is well worth it.  I still manage to run aground in the Banana River, though!

And ditto on CaptK's note on solid fiberglass too.

The main bulkhead posts are offset 10 inches either side of the mast foot.  Coupled with the reinforced deck area (2 ft X 1 ft) on which the mast in mounted, there doesn't seem to be any need for a compression post.  (What's inside that raised area anyway?)

For MK-I models (built prior to the bowsprit addition) you can use jibs for a Catalina 22.  That makes for a large selection from used sail stores, like Atlantic Sail Traders.

No big maintenance problems, though after 25 years the porthole gaskets leak like crazy.  But that's a topic for another thread, I suppose.

Lee

Thanks for the response, Johnny. I appreciate your point about Catalina 22 jibs working on the cp23. I desire a 2nd or 3rd generation cp23 with the bowsprit and all. But, now that I know the headsails from our Catalina will work with the "old style" Com-Pac, I will look more closely at them as well. Thanks again!!

Wishful thinking here: Will the c22 main work on the cp23??
--Lee

johnny b

Even with the bowsprit, it's only a 3 or 4 inch difference in the forestay length.  A Catalina sail would still work, at least as a backup.  I don't know about the main though.

curtis

Lee,

I know you asked this quite a while ago.

Quote from: LeeWe do not own a CP23 at this time but intend to buy one soon. (Anybody want to sell?) Whle we have enjoyed our Catalina 22 for years, I think the family would enjoy and appreciate the CP23 much more. I am searching the market for a good 1980s era CP23 and will be interested in any general shopping advice folks may have. I also have several questions and will appreciate any answers y'all might give to some or all of them:

1.    How well does she perform in light air?
2.    How well does she perform upwind?
3.    What are the more common maintenance problems?
4.    There is no compression post under the mast; how much trouble does this cause with deck compression?
5.    Is the keel/hull joint a big maintenance problem?
6.    One advantage with our Catalina 22 is the availability of a large aftermarket for parts and supplies. Does the CP23 enjoy such good OEM support?
7.    What is the gross trailer weight for a typical CP23?
8.    How big an outboard do most people use?
9.    Is there a good source (internet or otherwise) for specs and construction/design details for the various versions of this model?

Lots of questions, I know. Thanks for any helpful responses!!

Lots of questions for sure.  I see this thread is still alive so here's my two cents.

1.    How well does she perform in light air?

Not very well in very light air.  She'll move along in light air when no
one is moving particularly quickly but you'll be poking along.  Making
progress but at a slow rate.  Some people might be tempted to motor.

2. How well does she perform upwind?

Again not very well but it does matter what you compare her to.  The
compac PRHF rating indicates that its slightly faster than the C22s and
slightly slower than the C25 but I've outsailed a C25 decisively on an
upwind tack.  The C25 was not sailed well and the sails looked to be
a bit baggy.  Not the best VMG out there but just fine for cruising IMHO.

3. What are the more common maintenance problems?

They seem to be quite well built.

4. There is no compression post under the mast; how much trouble does this cause with deck compression?

Not a problem.  The cabin top is about 2 inches thick, maybe more, under
the mast and the main bulkheads are beneath that reinforced section.

5. Is the keel/hull joint a big maintenance problem?

The concrete keel is glassed in (or more accurately it is poured into the
fiberglass).  If you get a serious water penetration problem to the point
where the concrete is wet all the time you can destroy the keel though.

6. One advantage with our Catalina 22 is the availability of a large aftermarket for parts and supplies. Does the CP23 enjoy such good OEM support?

You won't get as much in the way of products targeted specificly for the
CP23.  I'm not sure where this is a problem though.  I'd have to say that
the CP23 is a better built boat to start with and there may also be less
incentive to replace what the factory provided as with some other boats.

7. What is the gross trailer weight for a typical CP23?

The CP23 weighs 3,000 dry.  Figure on 1,000 or more for the trailer and
500 or more for gear.  Add a small margin of safety and you should be
looking for a 5,000 pound towing capacity which coincidentally
corresponds to the limit of a class 3 hitch.

8. How big an outboard do most people use?

Oh you don't need one of those.  I currently have a Honda 8HP and its way
more than enough.  I don't often use it.

9. Is there a good source (internet or otherwise) for specs and construction/design details for the various versions of this model?

There is none for construction details except asking other compac owners
or calling the factory.  Kurt gave you a URL for the specs.

Hope this helps.

Curtis
[/quote]

Lee

I have taken far too much time looking at far too many 23s!! What a sweet little boat she is. Indeed, I have taken so much time that I suddenly find myself in love with the 25!! Standing headroom, enclosed head, and all the rest seem to make the 25 an even more family-friendly boat. Are the benefits derived from two extra feet really worth the extra cost in purchase and maintenance??
--Lee

Craig

If you don't plan on trailering the boat go with a 25, or better yet, you could get an older 27 for less than any 25 on the market. If you are going to trail the boat more than the beginning and end of the season buy a 23. There are few 27 owners who trail the boat twice a year, so it is possible.

Craig

Lee

Sorry to take this thread further away from the 23, but I am focussed on the 25 (and 27) now. I asked this question on the 25 board, but it seems precious few visit that area and no response has been issued. My question: What size tow truck will be sufficient for trailing a 25? I suspect a 1500 is not enough and that a 3500 is overkill. Do y'all agree the 2500 is mandatory? Any helpful response appreciated. Thanks.
--Lee

Lee

Sorry to take this thread further away from the 23, but I am focussed on the 25 (and 27) now. I asked this question on the 25 board, but it seems precious few visit that area and no response has been issued. My question: What size tow truck will be sufficient for trailing a 25? I suspect a 1500 is not enough and that a 3500 is overkill. Do y'all agree the 2500 is mandatory? Any helpful response appreciated. Thanks.
--Lee

curtis

Quote from: LeeSorry to take this thread further away from the 23, but I am focussed on the 25 (and 27) now. I asked this question on the 25 board, but it seems precious few visit that area and no response has been issued. My question: What size tow truck will be sufficient for trailing a 25? I suspect a 1500 is not enough and that a 3500 is overkill. Do y'all agree the 2500 is mandatory? Any helpful response appreciated. Thanks.
--Lee

Might depend on who's 2.5 ton pickup and what options.  Most of the 1.5 ton trucks probably would not tow the CP25 or CP27.  Towing capacities vary with engine choice, gear ratios, etc.  You really need to look at the boat and trailer weight plus gear, add a safety margin, and then look at the truck's towing capacity.

Curtis

Lee

Thanks Curtis. I appreciate your feedback to this and other questions. At the moment, my eye is on a CP25 (with trailer) and a Chevy 2500 4x4. I would settle for a Dodge of similar proportions, though.

miata

John on the Bay

The manufacturer recommends a longshaft outboard with 6-8 horsepower. I have an 8 HP Tohatsu on my 1989 CP-23. It did very well pushing me through choppy water on the Chesapeake Bay when I sailed her back to the dock. I purchased my boat a few short weeks ago, and am very happy with it. I tested a Catalina 22, and found the CP-23 to have a much more stable feel. No, not as good as the Catalina in light air, but I like the heavier feel hands down. Good luck in with your search!

PM Field

I am in Baltimore and putting my 1992 CP23 on the market (reluctantly) soon. Completely outfitted, but no trailer. Are you still looking? Contact me if interested, pmf@jhu.edu.

Seadog

I just saw an ebay listing today for a 1983 CP23 out of Chester, CN.
Some fiberglass damage and can probably get it for a dime (actually ~$1,800) if you can do some DYI repairs or have marina repair.... Good hunting 
David 
s/v Seadog