a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Easy idea for mid boom sheating

Started by Billy, February 01, 2012, 10:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

What if one could take the existing main sheet hardware and mount the two blocks to the deck each side of the hatch. And the block at the end of the boom would be moved forward to be even with the blocks on deck, mounted to the boom with a bail. make sense?

Pros- No traveler to clutter the deck or cockpit, no need for a boom vang. Better angle would reduce the tendency for the boom to lift when sailing down wind. Also, you could sit all the way back and not have the main sheet in the way. Additionally, with the factory setup, I cannot sit under the Bimini when at the helm due to the angle of the sheets. I have to have the Bimini forward. All this could be done for under $50.

Cons- have to drill holes in the deck, and add a bail to the middle of the boom. May not have enough leverage to trim the sheet in heavy weather, on the other hand, may pay out easier when easing the main down wind. The main sheet is a bit further forward and not right next to the helm, but probably still w/in reach

I figure I could leave the pads on the transom, and just add similar ones to the deck. That way i could go back if this setup is not completely desirable

What are yous guys thoughts on this?
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

crazycarl

very interesting.  the purchase could always be increased to lighten the load.  you could get away with a shorter main sheet.  you may still need a vang.  i like the idea.  i'm assuming the hardware would be mounted on the cabin top?

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

Are you talking Bridge deck or cabin top mounting?  either way you better simulate the sheet routes first to make sure they will clear everything and not be hanging or dragging on something on some points of sail.

Most folks who go to mid boom sheeting do so specifically to get a traveler setup and possibly to reeve another part or two in order to reduce the sheeting effort.  I'm contemplating it for that reason and to clear the stern clutter.  I've not heard any negative comments from those who have done it in that manner.  I had 6 to 1 with mainsheet traveler on my last boat, bridge deck mounted and I liked it better than  the end  boom on my 23.

I don't think it will eliminate the benefit of the vang.  When you are broad reach to run, the boom will still lift and bounce with the seas, maybe not a much.

wasn't there an old post/picture on this site of a 19 that had a heavy traveler bar built onto the cabin top? 

Billy

Yes on the cabin top, inline with the existing blocks on the transom. Just forward. Outside of the teak hatch slide and inside of the teak handrails.

My thought in doing this isn't so much b/c of the benefits of a traveler, although there are many, but mainly to get the sheets out of the cockpit. A traveler can be VERY expensive$$$. And be able to slide my bimini further aft so I can sit under the shade when at the helm.

mainly to avoid this....

and as it is currently set up, I can only slide my Bimini about halfway back on the track, do to the angle of the mainsheet.

It will be similar to this....
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1013&bih=506&tbm=isch&tbnid=q_dDG-MzNDQ-6M:&imgrefurl=http://www.jeanneau-owners2.com/technical/379review.htm&docid=PcUJqCekdQdnzM&imgurl=http://www.jeanneau-owners2.com/technical/a6c47b40.jpg&w=583&h=436&ei=lLwqT5K4H-qa2gWnhLWKDw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=326&sig=118035076112552116427&page=8&tbnh=151&tbnw=220&start=86&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:86&tx=113&ty=103
just using the existing blocks and set-up. Just further forward, at the middle of the boom.

Bob23

Billy:
   You need to check out how PeterG reworked his mainsheet location on his old Beagle, a CP 19. Search on the site for Beagle, maybe. He had a custom stainless bar made and installed over the cabin entrance. There was a single attachment point in the center for the mainsheet. It worked great, gave him better sail control with mid-boom sheeting and did not interfere with getting in the cabin.
   bob23

Salty19

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Billy

Thanks guys. But I don't really see the point of adding a traveler that doesn't travel. But where it is mounted is where I am thinking of attaching the two blocks from the transom. Having two points each side of the hatch seems to be more efficient in keeping the boom from lifting than a single attachment point.

GretchenG

Hi, Billy--  You may have continued this topic in another thread, so I hope I can reply here.  Anyway, I wondered if you did move your mainsheet to two cabin-top blocks, as discussed here?  If so, did you like it?  It seems like a reasonable idea to me, not perfect but still solves some problems with the end-boom sheeting.  I'm tempted to do this on my CP-16, but wanted to check with you first.  Please tell me the Rest of the Story!  Thanks--  Gretcheng

Billy

Unfortunately I have not. But I do think about it often. If i do, I will definitely post the results here.

atrometer

It's a personal preference but on my Montgomery15,  I converted from mid boom sheeting to end boom sheeting.  It was more important to me to be able to have a larger bimini forward enough to cover the hatch opening with an open hatch.