a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fuel Range

Started by harrys, June 26, 2014, 07:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrys

I plan on doing some canal cruising this summer and need to plan for refueling along the route.  Does anyone know what I can expect for Horizon Cat range on a fuel tank of diesel?

capt_nemo

harrys,

Do not have a Horizon Cat. Whatever the answer is, recommend you consider carrying some extra fuel.

I found that carrying some extra fuel on my extended cruises to the Bahamas took the worry out of finding fuel. Be sure to use the EXTRA fuel periodically when you find a fuel pump and replace it to keep it fresh and ready for next time.

Just some food for thought.

capt_nemo

Craig

We burn about 1 qt/hr at 2200 rpm. That gets us about 4.5 knots. Being conservative(hull/prop fouling is a factor) and rounding down to 4 knots at that RPM equals 4.6 statute miles/qt or 18.4 MPG. The HC has a fuel capacity of 7 gal. Keeping a 2 gal reserve would give you a useful range of about 92 miles at 4 knots SOG. Obviously current,wind, sea state, etc could raise or lower that range. At full throttle the best SOG we have attained is 7.5 knots. At that power setting the stern sguats like a tugboat and we have not measured fuel consumption at that speed! As Capt Nemo said, carrying extra fresh fuel is always a prudent thing to do. Also Kailani has, since new, always had biocides in her fuel.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

harrys

Thanks guys for the information and good advice.

skip1930

What is the gallon per HOUR of fuel oil usage with this diesel?

Mileage doesn't mean a thing if fighting winds and currents.

Just for fun ... My 21 foot grass cutting flail turbo-diesel tractor at work burns 1.7 gallons per hour at 1,900 rpm [ 2.2 mph in speed '2'  out of a possible '8' ] with [145 hp at the PTO shaft].

skip.

Craig

I gave initial qt/ hr / rpm /speed figures. Mpg was only meant to give a nominal range based on a 2 gal reserve. Your mileage may vary! LOL  (GPH = 1/4 @ 2200 rpm) Obviously speed over ground (SOG) is what determines actual range/mileage.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL