a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Roller Furling Suggestions

Started by Restharrow, June 18, 2014, 10:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Restharrow

I am considering replacement of the roller furler on our CP 25.  What are others using or recommending.  We will be raising and lowering the mast a couple times per year for travel.
Steve CP25 now moored in Lake Champlain, VT
CP 25
Lake Champlain, Vt. and coast of Maine
FaceBook RestHarrow Farm and Boatworks

MacGyver

Do you use a gin pole to raise and lower it or a crane?

That will sway my input....

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Restharrow

We do not use a crane.  We have a system with a strap around the mast, over (but near) the spreaders with a winch on the trailer.  So we winch it up.

Steve
CP 25

MacGyver

since that is the case, i would suggest a CDI unit.
I just installed one on my 19, and really like it. easy to do, and easy to use.

Its gains are its lightness compared to my other suggestion, which would be a Harken. Harkens are nice, primo in my book, but heavy compared to the CDI units.

The CDI is flexible also so when you are going up and down with it all, a little bend is no big deal, while the Harken units a little bend could end up ruining a foil, and you dont want to buy another foil, they can be expensive, let alone taking the whole unit apart to replace one foil.

Mac

Oh, Look up CDI or call them to see what size you might need, I am thinking maybe a FF4.....I could be wrong.
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Restharrow

Thanks Mac,

I've decided on the CDI FF4.  Getting it from Vermont Sailing Partners which have provided EXCELLENT service.  It will come to me in a couple days with new forestay and unit all set up, genoa furled and all set to simply be installed on the boat.  Total cost is the retail cost for the furler, but all the work will be done with unit delivered to a local marina where they have a fork lift that will reach the top of mast.  Sooooo long story short I did not have to haul the boat or lower the mast and I'm set to sail.

Steve
CP 25

MacGyver

Sounds like a simple deal! awesome!

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Ron

My CDI furler is not furing the sail as tight as I would like. True ,the sail is bulky (Air Force genoa) but still I think it is gradually slipping lower on the furler. Always had hank on jibs so I am a complete novice with furlers. Any suggestions?
Ron

wes

I usually maintain some back tension on the jib sheet while pulling on the furler control line with the other hand, to get a tighter wrap. This is more practical when the wind isn't blowing very hard.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

kickingbug1

my cdi furler on my catalina 18 doesnt wrap at tight as the one i made for my cp16 and for that reason i might just try and make one for the 18. even though i put some pressure on the jib sheet when i furl it still seems loose. it does, however have sunbrella on it. i think if you hold your jib sheet up somewhat above your jib sheet block that the difference in the angle will help. i am going to try that the next time i sail.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"