Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

fabulous tiller-tamer discovered?

Started by ramble on, September 07, 2006, 06:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramble on

Hey Group,

This past Labor day I accidentially discovered a trick ya`ll may already know concerning hands-off steering. In the past, I have used a jam cleat on the underside of the tiller with a taut 3 strand and wormed line or bungee that was connected to either side of the stern. When needed, I would take my hand off the tiller, lift the line up and into the cleat to control the tiller. This worked ok.

What is easier, better and faster is having a line (I use a 3 strand, twisted 1/2" fender whip) that is connected to a stern cleat. The line is then wrapped around tiller (1 turn) in the lowest position and tied loosely to the other cleat. It should be loose enough for the tiller to move easily from side to side.

Here`s the trick; When you need to lock it in place, just lift tiller up. The line becomes taut and holds tiller snugly in place. For minor adjustment, bump it either way. For more holding power, wrap line around tiller twice. For complete control, move tiller back down to original position and steer away!

For this to work you must bear down when tightening tiller strap to rudder.

Happy sailing!

Ramble On

Craig Weis

That sounds like a good idea.

I placed two 'Forespar pockets', one on each side of the cockpit combing
for my Forespar adjustable tiller holder. I put the hard foam ball
in either socket, depending on tack with the tiller end of the rod with
the detent ball into the receiptical located under the tiller. Out of site.
Also works very well when sitting at the dock too. No tiller movement.
No lines to foul my feet. Positive lock. It'll cost you though some $'s.

Interseting one day I sailed for over an hour without touching a thing.
But I kept an eye on the compass and it barely moved.
I scooted forward and polished the dropboard end of the 'coach'.

The danger is of course falling asleep while under way. I did that once and
was knocked on my butt to the cockpit soul by a big wave. I was then awake!

Oh what fun. Skip.

ramble on

Very cool! That is a long time to be so perfectly trimmed. Where I sail, I can`t imagine being able to sail in one direction for an hour. Inland lakes...

I have noticed when powering with tiller locked that I can change course by moving inboard or outboard.

Would you consider a wind vane?

Jeff

Craig Weis

I think wind vanes are ugly and for a very long cruise, like a few days in one tack and one direction, give or take a few compass points, well maybe.

I think it won't work very well on a 20 footer. I just Heave-To for lunch and drift for an hour or so. I like that...yes I would have a vane but with a bigger boat like a 30 to 40 foot C&C, or Tartan.

On my boat, Comfort and Joy, wind vanes may be the only option as I can't 'carry' enough stored electrons to drive a tiller control for any more then maybe a hour or two. Depends on how picky the unit is and if it constantly buzz's back and forth, hunting to hold the course.

One time, during high school years, we were driving our houseboat on the Illinois River along with another houseboat and a CristCraft cruiser. The guy on the wheel left the wheel and stood in the aft connor of the boat, forcing the hull down into the water where he stood. The boat turned toward the beach and as the horns blew a warning he just looked aft and waved as the boat ran aground at speed. Broke bones on two people below deck and smashed a head. All survived. Dad and I nursed the wounded and then skippered the boat through a lock and dam combination and back to Starved Rock right into the slings for a take out on one engine and two leaky skegs and good pumps. The boat was pulled off the beach by a tow boat and 500 foot of hawser line. Can you say stretch!!! Mom and someone from the other houseboat took our boat back to Starved Rock. It was a day to be sure. skip.

ramble on

That was quite a day! It is amazing there are not many more like episodes.

Have you ever tried to do the self steering trick of having the tiller shock-corded to one side and having the mainsheet bring varying control from the other? I want to try that.

Jeff

Craig Weis

No not really. Sound too complicated for O'skippy. But I did like what Burgess did and documented in his book on trailer sailing.
He ran two lines forward to the bow sprit and steered with his feet as he watched the coral bottom glide past.

ramble on

Now that is a job I might could do the first time.

R