a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CDI FF1

Started by carry-on, April 16, 2014, 10:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carry-on

Considering adding a furler to my CP16XL.
The question about a toggle at the head of the fore stay has been asked before, but I did not see an answer on the forum.
The on line instructions for the CDI FF1 state in several places that a toggle is required at both ends of the fore stay. The connection at the hound on the 16 is a swage eye. The 19 and 23 use an eye fitting to connect the fore stay to the mast head. The toggle would allow some lateral movement of the connection as the furler rotates..reducing stress on the stay strands.

Questions for CDI FF1 users:
Have you CDI users changed to a toggle at the top of the fore stay? New stay or fitting change? What fitting?
Do you recommend the optional bearings for the furler on a 16?
Where do you locate the telltales? With hank on jib, they are a foot from the luff but with a furler they would disappear when reefed.
Seems that luff tension is fixed with the furler. Any issues from not adjusting tension for various wind conditions?
With protective cloth on the leech, do you have  leech line adjustment?
Any preferences, protective material on the foot and leech vs. a sleeve?

Thanks for your input.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

MacGyver

Carry-on,

I am starting a sail project on my boat, and have opted for a FF2 (I have a 19/3) and also went with a roller furling headsail, but do not have the sunbrella nor the other doo dads on the sail. Reason: Little boat, less weight. Also, the shape of our sails is so insignifigant as far as needing that foam luff for reefing and such, that I thought save the money and weight, and make a sleeve to raise since I am left with my Jib halyard anyway (CDI has internal halyard)

I spoke to many people and sail makers about all of these things. I probably have around 15 hours in talking about the options and why from several people. The racers or performance minded folks always said get all the stuff. Sail makers 90 percent told me not to get the extra stuff.
I ended with talking with Jeff from Sailrite, and he provided more reasonable details why not to go with the extras and just keep it simple. I was intrigued so much so that I am going to build my own sails due to the talks.

Anyway, I hope to have a more in depth post in the coming days..... My wife had me make cushions for our boat so I havent had time to be on here like I would like to. But I will have pics of those and a thing about the sails soon.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

jb

I recycled/cut an FF2 from a previous boat for my 96XL. Had a new stay made that will allow more of a forward adjust, if needed. Also, used a toggle (  part # 12-120 @ rigging only ) for the mast attachment.

No issues for me from not adjusting luff tension just a " set & forget adjustment.

New stay, bob stay w/turnbuckle, tax and shipping was $143. from Rigging Only.

carry-on

J,
Thanks for the lead. Riggingonly is a new site to me. How does the single jaw toggle at the hound reduce torsion on the stay?
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

jb

carry-on, 

Maybe a better qualified person can explain/answer the torsion factor of your question. I can only imagine that the toggle allows some movement that may prevent breakage when the stay/furler is under severe strain?

Maybe the toggle isn't necessary on the C-16, but I decided to be on the safe side based on the install instructions for CDI furlers and the recommendation from the rigging personal.

j

DavidPA

I am also adding an FF1 to my CP16/3XL.  I was worried about the toggle issue and so I called Hutchins and was told that they do not toggle their production boats that are sold with the FF1 installed. I considered doing it anyway but that would mean replacing or shortening my existing forestay to accommodate the toggle which I would rather not do if it's really not necessary. When I do buy a new forestay someday I will install the toggle just to be on the safe side.