a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Foresail Choice

Started by atrometer, April 19, 2014, 02:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atrometer

What is the favorite foresail size choice (for those without RF)?  110, 120, 130, 140, 150??????  My philosophy is to motor sail or motor in very light winds and not to have to change the foresail while "out there".

kickingbug1

one sail 120. i think the stock one is a 110
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

jb

the 120, lack of wind is not a factor in my area .

skip1930

No idea about head sail size for a CP-16 with or without a bow sprit.

The factory head sail on my CP-19 with bow sprit is a 155%, making it a lapper.

skip.

JTMeissner

I use a standard 110 for most sails in the new home port with pretty consistent breezes since it's near the coast.  With light winds, I normally bent on the genoa (155) at the lake.  Both are hanked on.

Advantage of the standard sail is that there is no concern about the sheet cleat location as they were put on the boat with that sail in mind.  A 120 may not be that much different, but going larger may require new or adjustable cleat locations to maintain proper shape.  My genoa requires sheeting through the stern cleats.

Since you have the iron sail (and are willing to use it), the smaller jib may be easier if the winds pick up.  Even with a reef in the main, the 110 jib keeps good airflow through the slot without overpowering the boat and allows better pointing than with just the main alone.

-Justin